Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 185 of 191
by rforrest » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:00 am
I'm afraid it's not good news for those of us east of Tingley, looks like we should check back in 18! months:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6999
by phredmoyer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:21 am
Several folks here on Tiffany Avenue in San Francisco are eagerly awaiting Gigabit fiber availability. I talked to a technician a couple blocks east on 29th street who said they were installing there, so it seems like it's only a few blocks away.

Any plans to come near 29th and Mission? (Tiffany is between Mission and Guerrero at 29th).
by dane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:52 am
phredmoyer wrote:Several folks here on Tiffany Avenue in San Francisco are eagerly awaiting Gigabit fiber availability. I talked to a technician a couple blocks east on 29th street who said they were installing there, so it seems like it's only a few blocks away.

Any plans to come near 29th and Mission? (Tiffany is between Mission and Guerrero at 29th).
You have aerial utilities, but they are isolated by underground crossings at Delores to the West, Cesar Chaves to the North and Mission to the East.

See the non-continuous pole-line at Duncan, for example: https://goo.gl/maps/xwMDMfNDxyD2

Because the City of SF currently doesn't allow utilities to do any new trenchless underground construction, I'm afraid your neighborhood will remain isolated, with only the existing utilities reaching you.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by chkyiu94112 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:08 am
rforrest wrote:I'm afraid it's not good news for those of us east of Tingley, looks like we should check back in 18! months:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6999
Thanks for the info! Good to know instead of being uninformed.
by phredmoyer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 am
See the non-continuous pole-line at Duncan, for example: https://goo.gl/maps/xwMDMfNDxyD2

Because the City of SF currently doesn't allow utilities to do any new trenchless underground construction, I'm afraid your neighborhood will remain isolated, with only the existing utilities reaching you.
Thanks for the technical explanation.

I looked into the microtrenching issue, and it looks like an ordinance for the state of it has been 'filed'. Not sure what that means.

https://sfgov.legistar.com/LegislationD ... ced&Search

Dane, if you have policy folks that need a hand pushing this forward, I'm happy to help. My email is fred moyer at gmail if you want to have them get in touch. I have great service through Wave coax right now (600 down, 20 up), but I'd really like fiber :) Most of my work is dependent on the speed of my internet connection.
by Larns576 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:30 pm
Microtrenching and City-wide fiber both seem to have been abandoned and forgotten now that Mark Farrell is gone.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6236&hilit=Microtrenching

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -in-doubt/
by bucketbiochemist » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:07 pm
Dear Sonic,

Any idea on whether you will be going up Duboce Avenue and north (Elgin Park) anytime soon? We have overhead utilities, but don't know about the potential pole overloading. Currently have Fusion but would love to get my fiber fix.

Best,

Jim
by dane » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:24 pm
bucketbiochemist wrote:Dear Sonic,

Any idea on whether you will be going up Duboce Avenue and north (Elgin Park) anytime soon? We have overhead utilities, but don't know about the potential pole overloading. Currently have Fusion but would love to get my fiber fix.

Best,

Jim
There is a pole at the corner of Valencia and Duboce which must be replaced, and four others on Duboce which must be reinforced with a steel brace before any new utilities can be delivered in your area.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bucketbiochemist » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:25 pm
Dear Dane,

Thanks for the quick reply -- your transparency is much appreciated!

Best,

Jim
by parker_day » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:16 pm
dane wrote: There is a pole at the corner of Valencia and Duboce which must be replaced, and four others on Duboce which must be reinforced with a steel brace before any new utilities can be delivered in your area.
As someone who is served electricity from the poles on Duboce, PG&E replaced a pole on Duboce at Valencia in July (I think, maybe it was August). I only know because it was a long night and morning without power. That was for a complete replacement, however I have no idea about the reinforced poles.
1909 posts Page 185 of 191