Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 180 of 191
by rmichela » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm
When (if ever) is the stretch of Noriega St. between 19th Ave and Sunset Blvd going to get fiber? I'm 3500 feet from a CO and it's getting increasingly difficult to justify flaky DSL in 2018.
by dane » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am
rmichela wrote:When (if ever) is the stretch of Noriega St. between 19th Ave and Sunset Blvd going to get fiber? I'm 3500 feet from a CO and it's getting increasingly difficult to justify flaky DSL in 2018.
We are finalizing engineering for East/West streets in the Sunset and Richmond, so we will know soon if we can reach you!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dronf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 pm
Dane: Thanks for responding to so many questions on this thread!

From what I can tell there doesn't appear to be any gigabit service in the SOMA area. Is there a plan to get to this area, or is there a municipal reason why that area has had zero service? I'm actually at Natoma & Lafayette, on the edge of SOMA, almost to the mission.

thanks again
by abaye14 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:08 pm
My service sucks! I have not been able to use the internet via Sonic. The WiFi is too weak. I never been able to use it since it was installed in September 2017.
What did you do wrong?
I'm tired of paying for a service I do not use.
Thank you!
Frustrated in San Leandro!
by cdrayson » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm
abaye14 wrote:My service sucks! I have not been able to use the internet via Sonic. The WiFi is too weak. I never been able to use it since it was installed in September 2017.
What did you do wrong?
I'm tired of paying for a service I do not use.
Thank you!
Frustrated in San Leandro!
Have you called customer service? They're usually super helpful.
by kevnull » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 pm
dane wrote: There are two answers to this:

The first is, we don't know where we can reach until it's completely engineered. On a per-block and even per-home basis, due to utility pole loading and underground utility issues, we may be unable to build. This results in uneven availability, so we can't speculate with any accuracy about when or if a specific premise can be served.

The other answer is, we don't talk about where we're building until all of that is complete and we've started construction and can take a service order from specific premises, on the day coverage is announced. If we say instead six months or a year prior, "We are building out fiber in Berkeley", our competitors will use that information against us, locking customers into long-term contracts. That's no good for us or the consumers.
Hi Dane,

I appreciate the transparency and the reasons you've given. They make sense. I also appreciate you being so responsive here. I'm uncertain how to reconcile what you've said against:
dane wrote:All of the available information about availability and scheduling for current and future builds can by found for your specific address at http://sonic.com/availability
I used to be a Sonic customer specifically because I'd heard about the SF rollout plans but it was clear it would be years away (this was two years ago). I love the customer service but the speeds available were just too slow and I've been anxious to come back. Recently, there have been announcements of rollouts in my neighborhood and directions to go to that page as you've directed. But as I mentioned, when I go there and enter my address, it doesn't say Gigabit is available. It doesn't say it's not available. It doesn't say it will be available. It just says "Sonic is available!" but with 50Mbps as the only option which feels deceptive to direct me there and then have that button.

All I want to do is find out when it will be available given the news that it's rolling out in the neighborhood. You direct us to a page to find out but also say you can't tell us. So do you have guidance on what one is to do?

Thanks again for your responsiveness.

K
by joeyyung911 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:49 am
abaye14 wrote: Frustrated in San Leandro!
Hmmm...didn't know Sonic serves fiber in San Leandro.....
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dane » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:24 pm
kevnull wrote:
dane wrote: There are two answers to this:

The first is, we don't know where we can reach until it's completely engineered. On a per-block and even per-home basis, due to utility pole loading and underground utility issues, we may be unable to build. This results in uneven availability, so we can't speculate with any accuracy about when or if a specific premise can be served.

The other answer is, we don't talk about where we're building until all of that is complete and we've started construction and can take a service order from specific premises, on the day coverage is announced. If we say instead six months or a year prior, "We are building out fiber in Berkeley", our competitors will use that information against us, locking customers into long-term contracts. That's no good for us or the consumers.
Hi Dane,

I appreciate the transparency and the reasons you've given. They make sense. I also appreciate you being so responsive here. I'm uncertain how to reconcile what you've said against:
dane wrote:All of the available information about availability and scheduling for current and future builds can by found for your specific address at http://sonic.com/availability
I used to be a Sonic customer specifically because I'd heard about the SF rollout plans but it was clear it would be years away (this was two years ago). I love the customer service but the speeds available were just too slow and I've been anxious to come back. Recently, there have been announcements of rollouts in my neighborhood and directions to go to that page as you've directed. But as I mentioned, when I go there and enter my address, it doesn't say Gigabit is available. It doesn't say it's not available. It doesn't say it will be available. It just says "Sonic is available!" but with 50Mbps as the only option which feels deceptive to direct me there and then have that button.

All I want to do is find out when it will be available given the news that it's rolling out in the neighborhood. You direct us to a page to find out but also say you can't tell us. So do you have guidance on what one is to do?

Thanks again for your responsiveness.

K
We just don't have any more information - see the more detailed explanation as to why, quoted above. If it's not engineered, we can't determine viability. And when we do, we begin taking orders. And if we're pre-engineering, it's competitively sensitive info, and not useful anyway due to the per-address specific nature of the outcome.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by CraigH » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 pm
by CraigH » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:29 pm Quote
randyw wrote:
Just wanted to check if there is any progress on infilling the SF Richmond district. (6th Ave between Lake and California)

I'm on the same block of 6th Ave as RandyW. I would like to have his question answered as well. I am a current Sonic customer though.

thanks for any information you can provide.

Craig -
Checking back 6 Months later to see if there is any progress about getting Fiber north of Geary St. on 6th Avenue?

Any Information will be helpful.

Thanks
Craig -
by tabacco » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:54 pm
dane wrote:We are finalizing engineering for East/West streets in the Sunset and Richmond, so we will know soon if we can reach you!
Yesssssssssss
1909 posts Page 180 of 191