Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 191 of 191
by Tee » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:12 pm
Is West View Ave, cross-street Cambridge, (94134) expected to receive fiber within the next year or two? I've been hearing great things about it but haven't heard anything about coming to the area.
by simx » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 pm
Larns576 wrote:There was someone (in this thread or one of the other S.F. threads)that got their pole reinforced by contacting CPUC. Guess it depends on who you reach there.
Looks like I got a good contact at the CPUC, he’s even willing to come out and take a look at the pole!

However I don’t know which pole is the overloaded pole in question. :( My address is [redacted]. Dane was the one who told me there was an overloaded pole, but he’s not responding on Twitter DMs, and Sonic support doesn’t seem to know.

Can anybody here help me identify which pole is preventing fiber access to my house?
by svensson » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:06 pm
randyw wrote:
tabacco wrote:
dane wrote:We are finalizing engineering for East/West streets in the Sunset and Richmond, so we will know soon if we can reach you!
Yesssssssssss
Yesss (and presuming there will be some branches for the missing N/S streets -- like 6th)
It's been two years now, and California St around 6th Ave did get fiber service, which is great. But no branch up 6th Ave as hoped (the other avenues have it already, but 6th had an underground segment around Geary which apparently made it difficult). Is there any hope or progress on that? We've had Sonic for many years now, but DSL is getting a little frustrating.

Or is my best bet to pull an ethernet wire across the backyard from 7th Ave?
by mbeards » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:47 pm
dane wrote: Both. Not yet engineered, but also some potential pole issues. There is at least one bad pole that could create a hole, on the East side of Stanyan just South of Carl St. There's another one on the North side of Parnasus, about 40' East of Stanyan which could create coverage issues in the area.

But until and unless complete survey and engineering work is done in the area, we won't really know - it's possible those two poles have already been reinforced!
PG&E was working along Stanyan between Frederick and Parnassus earlier this week. It looks like they replaced the pole on the East side of Stanyan south of Carl St. I can't tell if they did anything on Parnassus.

Hopefully the work they did is enough to unblock fiber here sometime soon!
by ladr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:56 pm
Hi Dane,

Checking in again. Last time was Feb of 2019, when I got the overloaded utility poles on 18th between Mission and Guerrero replaced, that you had told me in a previous message was the blocker for getting fiber on the block.

Since they were replaced, no one at Sonic has been able to say if or when fiber will be coming, and in fact I was told that it may never come, or not for 10 years.

This is very disappointing to me, because I went to the trouble (and it was a lot of effort) to get the poles replaced, based on your saying that that was the issue and at least strongly implying that once it was resolved, fiber would be forthcoming. (and having even sent me a map of the poles in question!).

Can you say anything at all about if or when fiber will come to my block, or if all my effort (at your behalf) was a waste of time?

If people getting poles replaced really won't be factored into Sonic's fiber schedule you should let us all know, so that more people don't waste their time on it, hoping that you'll bring fiber to their block once they clear the way.

Thanks in advance for your candid reply.
by ladr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 pm
Dane,

It is now about 4 years since you posted that the thing preventing Sonic from offering fiber on 18th street between Valencia and Guerrero was the overloaded utility poles, and 2 years since I got the Utilities Commission to get PG&E to replace the poles.

Are you going to follow through and get fiber on the block, or should I give up? I spent considerable time and effort in getting those poles replaced, since you'd implied that we'd get fiber if they were replaced.

Can you honor your part now and get fiber on the block?
by gilman » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:39 pm
Would really like to know about the status of connectivity to the Bush/Hyde area of Lower Nob Hill. I've been calling every 3 months for 2 years and keep getting "we'll let you know". I really want to support Sonic and not give my money to evil Comcast, but 20mbps internet for the last 6 years is getting a little old. Would really appreciate any kind of rough timeline.
by joeyyung911 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:49 pm
I remember getting an email from Sonic they weren't able to do Nob Hill, but I can't seem to find that email now.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by adalidperez » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:14 pm
I read a post in Nextdoor that there's fiber in Pac Heights. I did an availability check for my apartment and fiber did not come up as an option. Will you email us to let us know when it will be an option and also an estimated timeline!
1909 posts Page 191 of 191