Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1874 posts Page 188 of 188
by dane » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:19 pm
Thanks for the heads up Ralph - unfortunately we're not proactively informed when poles are reinforced or replaced, so this is good info. I'll pass it on to the plant team now.
Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic
by Peteman100 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:11 pm
@RaphL,

Can you share what steps you took to get them to replace the pole? I'm running into the same problem in Berkeley and want to do something! Would love your guidance. Thanks!

RaphL wrote:
Message for Dane:

I saw your posting about overloaded utility poles on 18th Street in the Mission in San Francisco, and decided to work with the CPUC to get the poles replaced. It worked!

They are scheduled for replacement on Feb 26, and I hope this means that Sonic will soon be able to offer fiber on the block between Valencia and Guerrero Streets.

Wanted to give you a public heads up in case CPUC or PGE have not communicated with Sonic about these poles being imminently replaced. Would be great if we could get an update on the likely ETA for fiber now (or soon).

All the best,
RL
by danm » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:25 pm
I worked with the CPUC through their website and got the utility pole serving my apartment building reinforced. I was surprised the work was done rather quickly, and I was excited to get moving with Sonic!

Unfortunately, @dane and crew have to basically re-submit the paperwork for the engineering team to come back and revisit the location... and it goes on the bottom of the stack. So, the utility pole was reinforced in like July 2018, and I was told it would be 6-12 months to see if Engineering was able to come back to the location and survey.

From what I understand, this is a limitation based on how San Francisco operates and their process - not Sonic's process.

I got super excited, but am still currently waiting on month 7 without an update. Hoping to hear something in the next 6 months. :)

~Dan

RaphL wrote:
Message for Dane:

I saw your posting about overloaded utility poles on 18th Street in the Mission in San Francisco, and decided to work with the CPUC to get the poles replaced. It worked!

They are scheduled for replacement on Feb 26, and I hope this means that Sonic will soon be able to offer fiber on the block between Valencia and Guerrero Streets.

Wanted to give you a public heads up in case CPUC or PGE have not communicated with Sonic about these poles being imminently replaced. Would be great if we could get an update on the likely ETA for fiber now (or soon).

All the best,
RL
by RaphL » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:51 pm
I just called them directly and ended up speaking to a friendly engineer. I worked with her by going to the pole locations and sending her photos, then called her back every month or so to follow up.

From what she told me, there's no wait on the CPUC side for Sonic to put up fiber after the poles are installed, but since PGE owns the poles, Sonic still has to coordinate with them.
1874 posts Page 188 of 188