Bandwidth dropping to zero frequently PLEASE HELP

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by Akash » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 pm
Hello everyone. My house has had Sonic for almost a year now. I recently got back to playing online multiplayer games specifically Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty. I have noticed that the bandwidth for traffic going out and coming in dropping to almost if not completely to zero. This is happening every 3 or so minutes for a duration of 5-10 seconds. Now playing a competitive multiplayer game this can really mess up your game and is very frustrating. I am in the East Bay Area and my speed tests show about 12mbps download and almost 1mbps upload. I am also using the Qualcomm Killer Network Manager as well as a high quality Bigfoot Gaming Lan. Im not getting any issues at other peoples houses using Comcast or even a crappy 3mbps AT&T connection. This issues happens every time when I am playing the game online regardless of anyone else using the internet. It also happens if I am wireless or wired for my connection. I even gave the game and supporting programs priority for bandwidth through the network manager. I tried all solutions posted for the game with no results. I know its not the game using too much bandwidth because the network manager shows that its using at most 0.2mbps for both incoming and outgoing traffic. I know this thread is a little out of the ordinary to what is usually posted here but if anyone has a solution or an idea I would really appreciate it. I am now becoming a more avid gamer and would have to hate to change internet providers because of Sonic dropping the bandwidth completely and so frequently. I can even put up a screenshot of the log that the network manager creates but its just going to show the speed being fairly constant with its ups and downs and then at every 3ish minute mark it would go straight to zero and stay there for 5-10 seconds.
Again, thanks for taking the time to read through the post. I hope someone can help me find a way to get this fixed!!!
by ankh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:23 am
I'm a customer, not a Sonic rep.

You should call Sonic tech support, or get whoever has the service account do it, and have them check your line.

I know this kind of problem is happening all over. I just talked with a neighbor who's having the same thing with Earthlink (and he'll be calling Sonic to switch to Fusion today)

A phone tech explained what happens to me years ago -- after a cold rainy stretch the sun comes out, things warm up, water starts to evaporate and then condenses inside the boxes on the phone poles making intermittent shorts -- then drips away, problem gone, or moves around. Frying bacon static noises on the voice line.

We just had ATnT come out to deal with an especially bad stretch of this -- thanks to Sonic's tech support that set up the call after testing the line and confirming a problem outside of our house wiring. The ATnT tech guy replaced the 'drop' (wire from phone pole to house), then cleaned up a lot of stuff on the pole, tested again, went away to clean up various things on other poles all the way back to the phone company building -- and we got a clean line after that.

I'm still chasing some intermittents by taking out the old Bell System wiring under the house -- it's a nightmare mess of crossconnected spliced twisted wire, some of it wrapped in old braided cloth insulation! -- and each time I remove a chunk of that things seem to get better.
by rodrigo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 pm
What Modem and/or Router are you using? If it's that regular, it sounds like a misconfigured or misbehaving firewall blocking dhcp lease renewals

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=503&p=3051
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=879&p=5082
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=892&p=5168
by Akash » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 pm
I am using Netgear router/modem but using that as the modem, and a Linksys router. I didnt have or very rarely this issue when I used to play from my xbox. Also I am sitting right next to the router so Im not using a very long cable. As for the weather issue, It did happen all the way back in october when it was still warm and has been going on since I started playing. I will call tech support and see what they can do about it. I tried once already but they werent very useful but second times a charm??...
by Akash » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 pm
Also I would like to add that whenever the game freezes online I would switch over to my internet browser and it seems to work fine. This doesnt happen when I am using the internet browser alone or streaming videos online. The internet works fine in any other case. This issue only seems to happen when playing an online game, which is weird since Battlefield 3 doesnt even use 0.5mbps of the total connection. Im not sure this can fall into the DHCP renewing since its only happening in online games. Any solutions??
-thanks
by ankh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:59 pm
Did you call the voice phone number for Sonic?
Did they test your line?
We can guess.
They can test.
6 posts Page 1 of 1