Fiber in the Mission

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by davidmonsees » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:07 pm
I am very happy Fiber customer in Noe Valley. Unfortunately, the block in the Mission where I moving to (800 block of Capp St) does not have telephone poles -- so I was crushed to lean that I'll be losing Fiber!

We're just a few hundred feet from the poles, so hoping micro trenching (or laser-delivered internet) becomes an option on our block in the near future. Until then, keep growing!
by george.belle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:45 am
I'm on Guerrero and can't get fiber, either. I'm not holding my breath on micro trenching - I don't know that anyone is fighting the fight to allow it. My x2 DSL gets me about 85 megabits down, but when games are in the 50 gb+ range to download, that doesn't really cut it anymore.
It's frustrating to be in a tech center like SF and be stuck on DSL service.

Edit: and I'm 1 house from a cross-street with fiber - it's so close!
by filmyer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:37 pm
Yes, I agree that it's frustrating that we can't get any information from Sonic about the status of fiber service on our streets. I live on the west side of Mission High School and fiber is available east of Dolores Park, but not west of Church. Why is that? I don't know and no one will tell me! This information is more tightly held than the data we give everyday to Google, Apple, and FB!
by bubba198 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:20 am
The supervisors passed a totally useless ordinance around micro trenching so effectively we do not have any such capability in SF. It isn't about any one company, it's simply that the way this was written does not allow what is needed to accomplish the task at hand.

Anything outside of micro trenching is expensive and only economically viable to the "big boys"

We see yet again what happens when wannabe paid "vacationers" are asked to do real work.
4 posts Page 1 of 1