Any IPv6 on Gigabit Fiber news?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
41 posts Page 4 of 5
by pureetofu » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:46 am
Has anybody set up a Nest Protect on Sonic Gigabit Fiber?
If so, how?

Google Nest Protect requires IPv6 for operation
https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9263646?hl=en

When should we expect IPv6 support (in some form)?
by kyle.depasquale » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:53 am
It shouldn't be a problem at all - IPv6 is only required for internal nest-to-nest communication, which I believe can be done through link local addresses. As far as I'm aware, they still can use IPv4 for communication outside of your network.
by munki » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:07 pm
I'd love to see more info on this- I am currently an xfinity customer and want to switch to Sonic- there is a sonic fiber box already in my house. But losing IPv6 connectivity would be a major loss for me. Does Sonic delegate IPv6 prefixes and support IPv6 natively like Comcast?
by tigertech » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm
Although I keep nagging Sonic for native IPv6, I have been using Sonic 6rd on my own gateway hardware with little to no trouble recently (see the "2.1. 6RD Without the Pace411N or 5268AC" section of that page; I'm using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter).

I've had periods where it wasn't very reliable in the past, but it's been working with no noticeable problems for a few months now.

(I'd still prefer native IPv6 please.)
by tigertech » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:08 pm
Someone asked me for the configuration to make Sonic 6rd work on a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, and I figured I'd share it publicly.

I mostly followed the basic instructions on this page to get it working.

You first need to use https://alephs.org/6rdcalc.html to calculate the right values using 2602:240::/28 and your Sonic-assigned local IPv4 address. If your Sonic-assigned IPv4 address was 198.51.100.33, you'd put this in that calculator:

Provider prefix IPv6: 2602:240:: / 28
Customer IPv4: IP: 198.51.100.33 using 32 bits

And it would tell you that your "Calculated IPv6 Prefix" is "2602:24C:6336:4210::". That's the magic thing you need.

Then run this on the EdgeRouter, but replace "2602:24C:6336:4210::" with your calculated prefix, and replace "198.51.100.33" with your IPv4 address:

Code: Select all

set interfaces tunnel tun0 6rd-prefix '2602:240::/28'
set interfaces tunnel tun0 address '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/28'
set interfaces tunnel tun0 encapsulation sit
set interfaces tunnel tun0 local-ip 198.51.100.33
set interfaces tunnel tun0 mtu 1472
set interfaces tunnel tun0 multicast disable
set interfaces tunnel tun0 ttl 255
set interfaces tunnel tun0 6rd-default-gw ::184.23.144.1

set interfaces switch switch0 address '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/64'
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 dup-addr-detect-transmits 1
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert cur-hop-limit 64
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert link-mtu 1472
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert managed-flag false
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert max-interval 300
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert other-config-flag false
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert prefix '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/64' autonomous-flag true
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert prefix '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/64' on-link-flag true
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert prefix '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/64' valid-lifetime 2592000
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert reachable-time 0
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert retrans-timer 0
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert send-advert true

commit
save

Note you'll need to update this if your Sonic-assigned local IPv4 address changes. Mine hasn't changed for months (yay Sonic!).

(Obligatory "I'd still prefer native IPv6.")
by skyweir » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:48 am
Was able to quickly get 6RD up and running with this info.

Thanks tigertech!
by eespinoza » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:00 pm
tigertech wrote:
Although I keep nagging Sonic for native IPv6, I have been using Sonic 6rd on my own gateway hardware with little to no trouble recently (see the "2.1. 6RD Without the Pace411N or 5268AC" section of that page; I'm using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter).

I've had periods where it wasn't very reliable in the past, but it's been working with no noticeable problems for a few months now.

(I'd still prefer native IPv6 please.)


What kind of speed are you seeing? I tried the IPv6 tunnel and can't even reach 100 Mbps. Considering changing over to 6RD.
by parker_day » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:44 am
tigertech wrote:
Someone asked me for the configuration to make Sonic 6rd work on a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, and I figured I'd share it publicly.

I mostly followed the basic instructions on this page to get it working.

You first need to use https://alephs.org/6rdcalc.html to calculate the right values using 2602:240::/28 and your Sonic-assigned local IPv4 address. If your Sonic-assigned IPv4 address was 198.51.100.33, you'd put this in that calculator:

Provider prefix IPv6: 2602:240:: / 28
Customer IPv4: IP: 198.51.100.33 using 32 bits

And it would tell you that your "Calculated IPv6 Prefix" is "2602:24C:6336:4210::". That's the magic thing you need.

Then run this on the EdgeRouter, but replace "2602:24C:6336:4210::" with your calculated prefix, and replace "198.51.100.33" with your IPv4 address:

Code: Select all

set interfaces tunnel tun0 6rd-prefix '2602:240::/28'
set interfaces tunnel tun0 address '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/28'
set interfaces tunnel tun0 encapsulation sit
set interfaces tunnel tun0 local-ip 198.51.100.33
set interfaces tunnel tun0 mtu 1472
set interfaces tunnel tun0 multicast disable
set interfaces tunnel tun0 ttl 255
set interfaces tunnel tun0 6rd-default-gw ::184.23.144.1

set interfaces switch switch0 address '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/64'
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 dup-addr-detect-transmits 1
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert cur-hop-limit 64
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert link-mtu 1472
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert managed-flag false
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert max-interval 300
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert other-config-flag false
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert prefix '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/64' autonomous-flag true
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert prefix '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/64' on-link-flag true
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert prefix '2602:24C:6336:4210::1/64' valid-lifetime 2592000
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert reachable-time 0
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert retrans-timer 0
set interfaces switch switch0 ipv6 router-advert send-advert true

commit
save

Note you'll need to update this if your Sonic-assigned local IPv4 address changes. Mine hasn't changed for months (yay Sonic!).

(Obligatory "I'd still prefer native IPv6.")


Thank you for sharing! I wish someone would make a step by step guide like this for Mikrotik RouterOS. With this config, your IPv6rd connection breaks if your dynamic IP changes, right?
by paulcoldren » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:34 pm
Every few months I try Sonic's 6rd tunnel again, and I end up turning it back off within a few hours/days for one reason or another.

I'm using a Ubiquiti USG with 6rd enabled via CLI commands.

Most recently, I discovered that all HTTPS sites fronted by the Fastly CDN were failing over IPv6, and they were failing in such a way that my applications weren't gracefully falling back to IPv4. They would either hang altogether (most of the time), or they would connect but take 3+ seconds for the initial TLS negotiation.

I do not know if this is a Fastly issue, a router issue, a Sonic issue, or a combination of multiple factors, but I ended up turning off the tunnel again.

Other IPv6 sites work from my 6rd tunnel. Other locations I manage that have this router work with Fastly over IPv6 (albeit all of the rest of them use ISPs that have native IPv6, ahem...).

Something about USG + Sonic 6rd + Fastly doesn't seem to work, and it's a shame but I ended up turning my tunnel back off because of this.
by tigertech » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:54 pm
eespinoza wrote:
What kind of speed are you seeing? I tried the IPv6 tunnel and can't even reach 100 Mbps. Considering changing over to 6RD.

Not sure what the maximum is because I'm limited by other things on this computer, but a quick test just now indicates it gives at least 250 Mbps (same as my IPv4 right now).
41 posts Page 4 of 5

Who is online

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 964 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:23 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests