Adding a Time Machine to my network

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by masonandamanda » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:54 pm
Amateur question here ... apologies in advance to anyone appalled by the technical incompetence on display here. I haven't tried to set up a network in a long time, and am befuddled by the options before me.

We recently signed up for Fusion service, and have a Pace 4111N modem and static IP address. Previously, we used a 1st generation 1T Time Machine + Airport Express network with an Astound cable modem. The sonic.net service seems faster and more reliable, and covers the whole house. Yay.

I'm wondering how to configure the following with the Time Machine (and, if necessary, the Airport Express), in order of importance:
1) Put it on the other side of the house, with no wires other than the power cord attached, to extend coverage
2) Use it for wireless daily backup
3) Use it for wired or wireless storage of shared photo or music libraries (in lieu of appleTV or a mac mini, or whatever else is out there now)
Otherwise, I fear I have an expensive, sleek brick on my hands.

Kind thanks for your replies, and happy holidays!
by petermui » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 pm
I have two Time Capsules on my network, I think they're 3rd generation.

1) Put it on the other side of the house, with no wires other than the power cord attached, to extend coverage

Using the Airport Utility there is an option to extend an existing wireless network (the wireless network broadcasting from your Pace 4111N)

2) Use it for wireless daily backup

Once they're on your network as in (1) or (3) they'll continue to back up with Time Machine.

3) Use it for wired or wireless storage of shared photo or music libraries (in lieu of appleTV or a mac mini, or whatever else is out there now)

This should work fine either way. For wired (recommended, but less convenient) connect an ethernet cable from the back of the Pace 4111N to the Time Capsule. Assuming it's wired: if the Time Capsule is close to the Pace 4111N you probably want to disable wireless on one or the other to avoid wireless interference between the two. (I'd probably pick the Time Capsule.)

HTH, -Peter
2 posts Page 1 of 1