Constant Connection Issues with old hardware...

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by garytracee » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:09 am
Switched to Fusion about a year and a half ago, and have to say I'm really impressed with the service. When it works.

I go through periods when I can't keep my modem connected for love nor money. That said, it's not a sonic.net modem, it's an AT&T branded ADSL2+ modem (MSTATEA - I believe it's a Westell 6100) which the techs said would work fine with my service when I signed up.

The solution is usually to initiate a hard reset on the modem, then go back in and switch the modem to having the PPP mode on the router as opposed to the modem (the modem's default). This usually solves everything for an hour or two, then it'll crap out again. This will go on for a week or so, when suddenly the issue will go away, often for a few months.

I know (and understand) that the hardware isn't supported by Sonic, so am thinking about the new 4111n rental. I'm okay paying the $6.50 a month in rental fees if it'll stabilize everything, but was wondering how it plays with my current wireless network? I've got a Mac only house, and while I'm sure the 4111n doesn't have a problem with internet access, I have the Airport Extreme router running two Airport Express units that are streaming to two stereos in the house which I would assume that the 4111n router wouldn't be able to address.
1 post Page 1 of 1