Hot weather causing connection problems

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Hothotheat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:25 pm
Its been pretty hot for the last few days here in Daly city and my internet connection has been very flaky. During the day time hours, my modem would randomly lose sync and would sometimes take hours before it would connect again. I noticed that my connection stabilizes once the sun sets. Has anyone else experienced this or have heard of hot weather causing internet issues? My modem is warm to the touch but definitely not hot.
by ngufra » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:13 am
If it happens again i would ask sonic to investigate (call 611).
They probably have logs of you connection status.
by dane » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 pm
That's an interesting one. And yes, Sonic support has historical line performance information, and can see graphs of key metrics like signal to noise ratio. We also have an intelligent agent tool that helps us find ground faults, AM interference, bridged taps, etc.

Regarding issues in the heat, I do wonder if there's an AC system at the home that's got an old motor. Sometimes we see local interference from poorly shielded motors causing AC induction interference. Just a guess!

Do give support a ring (or text, or click to have them call you, etc), at https://www.sonic.com/support
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:26 pm
dane wrote:Regarding issues in the heat, I do wonder if there's an AC system at the home that's got an old motor. Sometimes we see local interference from poorly shielded motors causing AC induction interference. Just a guess!
I can confirm this can happen.
Many years ago we had a problem that was only happening at night when the AC in the lab was running and the power cables were near the ethernet cables (not sure if it was 10BaseT or coax at the time)
fiber should be immune to that.
4 posts Page 1 of 1