need help configuring modem and router for Sonic DSL

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by Dang » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:01 pm
For almost three years, I've used the Motorola 2210 modem that Sonic used to supply, along with a Linksys WRT54GS router and had no problems whatsoever connecting. A few weeks ago, I started experiencing lots of dropped packets and other connectivity problems. Sonic support suspected the modem was going bad, so yesterday I bought a Netgear modem.

I'm now using the Netgear modem with the same WRT54GS and unfortunately, I'm still experiencing lots of dropped connections. I'm wondering if the problems are the result of my WRT54GS not being configured to work with the new modem. One reason for my suspicion: on the status section of my Linksys, the IP address is showing 192.168.0.2. When I was using the Linksys with my old Motorola, I used to see the WAN IP address belonging to Sonic, net the LAN address of the modem itself.

Can anyone point me to a page that shows how things should look?
by wa2ibm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:28 pm
It looks like the Netgear "modem" is more than a modem, it's also a router. Look up the documentation on the Netgear to see how to put it in bridged mode (turn off the router).
2 posts Page 1 of 1