Only 5Mbps service in Potrero Hill?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by kringcimson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:44 pm
So I read this which talks all about how SOnic is disrupting Potrero Hill specifically: https://www.potreroview.net/sonic-disru ... rero-hill/

But when I checked their site, Sonic is offering 5MBps / 10MBps bonded in Potrero Hill. ATT's site is offering only a paltry 1.5 Mbps (the same ADSL speeds I was getting back in 1999-2003ish timeframe via PacBell/SBC!).

I mean, it's 2019 now, and we're just 0.4 miles from UCSF and 1 mile to the new Warriors stadium. Sonic's site says we're 10366 feet from the nearest CO. I just can't believe that in over 15+ years, DSL speeds have not changed, in high-tech San Francisco.

I realize this may not be Sonic's fault since they rely on ATT's physical infrastructure. Has ATT just been hibernating in a cave?

As for fiber, does this depend on proximity to the CO? Does Sonic plan to roll out Fiber in Potrero Hill (as that article from last year claims)? We aren't even way up the hill either. On the flatish north part of Potrero
by Larns576 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm
Contrary to popular belief, rollouts don't encompass all households within a neighborhood. Even though Sonic built fiber in your area, it is likely your block was missed for whatever reason (most commonly bad or overloaded poles).
by alsoinpotrerohill » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:34 am
If you're on the north side of the hill, your utilities are likely underground, which means no Sonic Fiber for you (for the next few years). San Francisco BOS needs to move to allow "microtrenching" and the current proposal that they're "considering" won't work for Sonic anyway, you can search around the forum for more information.

It's also been reported that AT&T is winding down their fiber build nationwide by the end of the year due to the massive debt they took on to buy DirecTV, so no good news there either.

If by some miracle you do have overhead utilities, sonic stopped their rollout moving east around the library. I've been told that they're engineering the east side of the hill, but since most streets north of 20th are underground you're still out of luck.

If you're trying to avoid Comcast I would recommend trying Monkey Brains (local wireless ISP) or Wave (cable but not Comcast)
by Larns576 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 pm
If you are on underground utilities, it'll probably be more than a few years before fiber reaches you. With Farrell gone, no one has bothered to take up the city-wide fiber and microtrenching initiatives. Those will likely be forgotten, just like the people with bad poles or underground utilities :(

Maybe ATT or Comcast can run fiber through your underground conduits, but Sonic likely isn't coming anytime soon unless current laws are changed.
4 posts Page 1 of 1