Gigabit Fiber in Seabstopol

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by flyinghoop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 am
Any news about when the next stage of fiber in Sebastopol will be ready?
The Press Dem article on the home page is getting pretty old.
by dane » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:10 pm
flyinghoop wrote:Any news about when the next stage of fiber in Sebastopol will be ready?
The Press Dem article on the home page is getting pretty old.
The next stage of construction has been completed, but we are working on a change to the customer premise equipment and provisioning which will not be ready until early next year, so the new fiber is hanging, idle. I know.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bbusby » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 am
What is the envisioned CPE for home fiber (or "fibre" as our across the pond crowd might say)?

Will 11ac (currently in pretty stable Draft 3) be supported (I've seen boxes running a clean 993 Mb/s
@ 5GHz in the lab)? What is the fiber CPE ownership/rental deal?

As with Elvis' Martian babies, "Enquiring minds want to know."
by klui » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm
bbusby wrote:What is the envisioned CPE for home fiber (or "fibre" as our across the pond crowd might say)?

Will 11ac (currently in pretty stable Draft 3) be supported (I've seen boxes running a clean 993 Mb/s
@ 5GHz in the lab)? What is the fiber CPE ownership/rental deal?
I'm not a fan of all-in-one routers now that Sonic has mandatory rental requirement. Just provide the CPE and let the user worry about wireless. Allow the equipment to be put on bridge mode so people can use their own routers.
by cataha » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:25 pm
bbusby wrote:What is the envisioned CPE for home fiber (or "fibre" as our across the pond crowd might say)?

@ 5GHz in the lab)? ........
I'm not from sonic.net office, but from what i hear in 2013 by March it will become a standard and there is 60-70% of a chance that it will be renamed from 11ac to something else (according to netgear ceo presentation via Youtube)
and just encase you may not known it "N" standard is still considered to be as a draft, whether it's N or N+ or 1.0 or 2.0
by bbusby » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:12 pm
"...and just encase you may not known it "N" standard is still considered to be as a draft, whether it's N or N+ or 1.0 or 2.0"

Erm, no, 11n was ratified in 2009 and most recently was rolled up in the 802.11-2012 standard release (covers 11, 11b, 11g, 11a, 11n, 11e and all the other security (11i?) bits ratified in the last few years).
by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:25 pm
If the vendor has gone to the expense of certifying the unit, see the certificate here.
http://certifications.wi-fi.org/search_products.php

eg. list of wireless routers
http://certifications.wi-fi.org/search_ ... listmode=1
7 posts Page 1 of 1