Fiber Upload Issue: Upload Speeds being BLOCKED/GATED

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by blakemcclaren » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm
Hello,

I am getting a weird socket issue with my upload connection. My issue started Sunday on 6/2/2019 after opening a suspect LIVE Stream to watch the NBA Finals. I am located in San Francisco and purchasing the fiber option (supposed to be ~1000Mbps up/down). I think this is known as gigabit??

My upload is having this issue with most of the apps I use (actually all of them but 1). Here is a list of my most used apps:
  • > Discord - issues posting files larger the 700kb
    > Web Based Speedtests - socket error when attempting to upload (Sonic, Google, and OOKLA)
    > Chrome - but this also happens on IE and Firefox, I have tested with all three.
    > League of Legends - the server is missing many of my inputs
    > Escape from Tarkov - The game appears to run fine for me, but other players see me skipping around the map, lagging.

My download (~800Mbps) and ping (3ms to sonic server) appear to be working perfectly and pass all tests; but the upload speeds are throttled (30mbs) or sometimes blocked, generating this error:

UPLOAD TEST ERROR
A socket error occurred during the upload test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later.

Alternatively, check out our free Speedtest for Desktop apps for more reliable testing.

Screenshot: https://ibb.co/LdHR5nV

This issue occurs for all my devices connected via Wifi or Wired, whether they are Mac and Windows, and even when I hardwire straight to my PC bypassing the router with the Modem Cable.

For troubleshooting I have done these steps many times and in different order, all with no luck.
  • > Power Cycled Sonic Modem and Router
    > Reset Router Firmware to Factory Settings
    > Ran Malware Removal, AntiSpyware Removal, and CCleaner Pro
    > Reset Windows 10
    > Flushed DNS from CMD line
    > Reset Sockets from CMD line
    > Disabled Firewall
Update: A Sonic Tech (Jeff) came out to troubleshoot and did the following
  • > Changed my ONT modem
    > Checked my 75ft cat 5 cable
    > Did a wired check on his own laptop straight from the ONT wire
    > Checked the thin light cable connectivity and it passed as well

Now there is a curveball, if I run a speedtest with the OOKLA client app, my upload speed is perfect. This is the only app on my computer that seems to work without issue.

Not sure how to continue troubleshooting this issue, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you have any question or need clarification about my troubleshooting steps, please ask.

EDIT: Added information about how I potentially encountered this issue, but clicking on a suspect LIVE Stream browser.
EDIT: This issue occurs on Firefox, Chrome, and IE.
EDIT: Added a link to the screenshot of the error - https://ibb.co/LdHR5nV

Update 6/13/2019: My issue has been resolved. The engineering team reset my connection last night at 12am. I will monitor closely over the next few days, but everything is looking great! Thank you for resolving my issue.

Blake
by jacob.karinen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:34 am
Hi Blake,

Are you getting the same results when plugged directly into the ONT? If you're seeing expected speeds at the ONT but not through the equipment there may be an issue with the router. If that's the case I can send you another free of charge to test out. If it works, fantastic, and if it doesn't work we can at least rule out the hardware issues.

Also, when did you first start noticing this issue? Did you make any hardware changes a short while before the issue started happening?

This probably won't help but I know when I was dropping packets in BF it was due to the proxy server settings in internet explorer being auto enabled. If you haven't already unchecked that box give it a shot by opening IE> Internet Options> Connections Tab> LAN settings> Uncheck use proxy for LAN and save. Restart and give it a shot.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by sysops » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 am
Regarding the "UPLOAD TEST ERROR. A socket error occurred..." message, are you using Firefox with the about:config option "privacy.resistFingerprinting" enabled?

I noticed a while ago this seems to break the upload test for some reason. I reported it to speedtest a while back and I seem to be having mixed results that are better than before but not totally fixed.

If not, then disregard, but that setting may explain that particular error message.
Proud Sonic customer since 1999. Ask me about internet privacy, VPN, anonymity and security.
by blakemcclaren » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:49 am
Thanks for the replies.

@jacob

Are you getting the same results when plugged directly into the ONT?
Yes, this issues does happen when plugged directly into the ONT. After talking with Sonic Tech Support multiple times, a new router is on the way and will be here on Friday to try anyway.

Also, when did you first start noticing this issue? Did you make any hardware changes a short while before the issue started happening?
I noticed this after clicking on a LIVE stream for the NBA finals. It seemed my adblock or spyware missed a threat, so I have been working under the assumption that this is most likely software related.

If you haven't already unchecked that box give it a shot by opening IE> Internet Options> Connections Tab> LAN settings> Uncheck use proxy for LAN and save.
Looking at this, it was already unchecked.

@sysops

Regarding the "UPLOAD TEST ERROR. A socket error occurred..." message, are you using Firefox with the about:config option "privacy.resistFingerprinting" enabled?
I have tried the speed test mainly on Chrome. I have tried IE and Firefox too and they yield the same results. After resetting my Windows installation I haven't even had firefox installed and was seeing the issue. However, when looking at this setting it is currently set to TRUE, I set it to false and still got the error.
by blakemcclaren » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm
Here is a link to a screenshot of the image.

https://ibb.co/LdHR5nV
by dane » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:08 pm
Are you able to try with another computer, something with a recent or standard/default configuration, directly connected to the Sonic router?

I'm guessing here, but this sure looks like an issue with the computer, perhaps past attempts to "optimize" the network stack or performance, or perhaps an AV software issue.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by blakemcclaren » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:22 pm
Hi Dane, thanks for the reply.

A Sonic Tech (Jeff) did come out and tested with his Dell laptop (with a wired connection) and confirmed the issue. He confirmed the issue connecting through the router and connecting directly to the OTN line.

About your guess with AV (Avast) software, I've had the same suspicion and reset my windows installation and still had the same issue.

Additionally, I have searched the internet about AV users having upload issues and haven't found anything helpful.

So I if this is an AV software issue, I am unable to remove the artifact and open to suggestions.
by dane » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:28 pm
You're saying that our tech with his test laptop got the same error you're experiencing?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by blakemcclaren » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:29 pm
My next step is to purchase a new version of windows and do a full format (not just a reset), and replace my network adapter.

I suggest your team wait for those results before you Sonic applies anymore resources to my issue.

I will do this later this evening and update the thread tonight.

Thanks again for all the help troubleshooting this, hopefully I can provide enough insight that it saves time troubleshooting in the future.
by blakemcclaren » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm
@Dane,

Thats correct he got the same error on his own machine.
15 posts Page 1 of 2