Recommendations for Router, Modem, or Combos

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Scrubjay » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:49 am
I was a Sonic DSL customer years ago, then switched back to AT&T where I acquired a 2WIRE wireless router/ modem combo from AT&T. Didn't have any problems with the router/ modem unit until I switched back to Sonic about a year ago. With AT&T I never ever got dropped, but now with Sonic it's almost a daily event, sometimes occurring 2 to 3 times during a Skype call, or occasionally just using the Internet. While it's an incredible coincidence the problem started with the switch back to Sonic, I'm willing to bite the bullet and replace the unit.

I want to buy a new unit, rather than use the Sonic-Rent-A-Center plan and overpay (no thanks) for their unit. While a combo unit (both router and modem) would be handy in my little apartment, I'd consider two separate units as well. I don't know an incredible amount about this type of equipment and Amazon user reviews include horror stories on all the units.

So, I was hoping some Sonic users that still use their own equipment could recommend some affordable and reliable routers, modems, or combo units for a low-tech person with a laptop, Netflix jones, and occasional Skyping. Thank you for any recommendations!
by Guest » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm
I've been happy with the Actiontec GT701D ADSL2+ modem/ethernet router combo, about $50.
It does not have wireless. I use the modem in bridge mode (router disabled) with a separate
wireless router.

Pros: Small, low power usage, EnergyStar certified, runs cool (so it should last longer than modems which
run hotter).

Cons: Only one ethernet LAN port, so you'll need a switch or another router to connect more than one device.
Provides only scant information about the DSL connection, which can impede trouble-shooting.

By the way, one advantage of having a separate modem and router, especially where the DSL signal
quality is poor and the modem resynchs often, is that connections are more likely to survive
the resets -- connections freeze for some tens of seconds during the reset but do not drop.
by cataha » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:13 pm
Scrubjay wrote:I was a Sonic DSL customer years ago, then switched back to AT&T where I acquired a 2WIRE wireless router/ modem combo from AT&T. Didn't have any problems with the router/ modem unit until I switched back to Sonic about a year ago. With AT&T I never ever got dropped, but now with Sonic it's almost a daily event, sometimes occurring 2 to 3 times during a Skype call, or occasionally just using the Internet. While it's an incredible coincidence the problem started with the switch back to Sonic, I'm willing to bite the bullet and replace the unit.

I want to buy a new unit, rather than use the Sonic-Rent-A-Center plan and overpay (no thanks) for their unit. While a combo unit (both router and modem) would be handy in my little apartment, I'd consider two separate units as well. I don't know an incredible amount about this type of equipment and Amazon user reviews include horror stories on all the units.

So, I was hoping some Sonic users that still use their own equipment could recommend some affordable and reliable routers, modems, or combo units for a low-tech person with a laptop, Netflix jones, and occasional Skyping. Thank you for any recommendations!
The best ones i have seen is Zoom and then Motorola
The only thing i have seen on Motorola is a power supply dies and if someone constantly power it off and on then one day firmware will not function correctly and you will end-up with a bricked plastic squire unit
I used many and now a day i would only stick with well ventilated modems(Zoom) and if it's not, then i would drill holes
by scrubjay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 pm
Thank you both for the recommendations!
4 posts Page 1 of 1