Android VPN Instructions

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by scharfs » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:09 pm
Android VPN Instructions
I just had to re-install the OS on my Nexus 7 after the update to 4.2 bricked it. One thing that I struggled with was getting Sonic.net VPN working again. I wrote up the instructions for both Android devices with built-in VPN (Ice Cream Sandwich and later) as well as for older Android Devices where the device must be rooted, and the VPNC widget installed.

Sonic.net uses IPSec VPN with a pre-shared key. There is no VPN client that will work with older Android devices (Froyo or Gingerbread) unless the device is rooted. Once it is rooted, you have some choices, at least in theory. However I have only ever gotten VPNC to work on my older Android phones. I could not get the Cisco Rooted AnyConnect client for Android to work with Sonic.net.

Using Sonic.net VPN with built-in VPN application on Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. Rooting is not necessary.
1. From settings->Networks->More->VPN, tap "Add VPN"
2. For Name type: sonic.net
3. Tap: IPSec Xauth PSK
4. For Server Address type: ipsec.vpn.sonic.net
5. For IPSec identifier type: Standard VPN (watch capitalization)
6. For IPSec pre-shared key type: standard (all lower case)
7. Tap "Save".
8. Tap the VPN entry you just saved (i.e. "sonic.net").
9. Enter your sonic.net username/password (not your e-mail address, just the part before "@sonic.net").
10. Tap "Connect".

Verify that you're connected to Sonic.net VPN
Go to http://ipchicken.com to check your IP address. When VPN is connected you should have an IP address of 209.204.163.x. With Opera Mini, but not with Opera Mobile, you will get the IP address of the Opera Mini server, not the Sonic.net VPN IP address.

If you have problems ("Unsuccessful" rather than "Connected"):
1. Ensure that you have Wi-Fi or 3G turned on.
2. If you have a rooted Android device with DroidWall installed be sure that you give "VPN Networking" access to Wi-Fi and 3G.

Using Sonic.net VPN with older, rooted, Android devices using the VPNC Widget from the Google Play store.
Your device must be rooted. There is no way to use VPN on Sonic.net on an older Android device that is not rooted. This is an inherent limitation of older versions of Android combined with the type of VPN supported by Sonic.

Install the VPNC app/widget from the Google Play Store
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=vpnc

Configure VPNC
1. Under apps (not on the widget screen), tap "VPNC Widget" then tap "Dismiss."
2. Tap on "Set Preferences"
3. Tap the down triangle to the right of "IPSecGateway" and enter: ipsec.vpn.sonic.net
4.Tap the down triangle to the right of "IPSecID" and enter: Standard\ VPN (pay close attention to the capitalization and ensure that you use a \ not a /).
5. Tap the down triangle to the right of "IPSecSecret" and enter: standard (pay close attention to the capitalization (none)).
6. Tap the down triangle to the right of "XAuthUsername" and enter your sonic.net username (not your e-mail address, just the part before "@sonic.net").
7. Tap the down triangle to the right of "XAuthPassword" and enter your sonic.net password.

Place the VPNC Widget on Your Home Screen
1. Go to your home screen (Press the “Home” key).
2. Find an empty space for the new widget.
3. Tap and hold the empty space until the “Add to Home screen” menu appears.
4. Tap the “Widgets”.
5. Tap the VPNC widget.

Install the proper tun.ko module
You must install TUN.ko before VPNC will work. tun is a module that is required by VPNs.

1. Check for your phone model, Android OS revision, and build at http://droidvpn.com/tun-repository.php (on your phone, find this information at (Settings>About phone)
2. Install the TUN.ko Installer app from the Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .installer)
3. Run the installer.

Done.
Tap the VPNC Widget and VPN Networking will be turned on. No need to enter your user name and password every time.

Verify that you're connected to Sonic.net VPN
Go to http://ipchicken.com to check your IP address. When VPN is connected you should have an IP address of 209.204.163.x. With Opera Mini, but not with Opera Mobile, you will get the IP address of the Opera Mini server, not the Sonic.net VPN IP address.

If you have problems ("Unsuccessful" rather than "Connected"):
1. Ensure that you have Wi-Fi or 3G turned on.
2. If you have a rooted Android device with DroidWall installed be sure that you give "VPN Networking" access to Wi-Fi and 3G.
by virtualmike » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:24 am
I've gone through the instructions for "Using Sonic.net VPN with built-in VPN application on Android Ice Cream Sandwich." When I tap the sonic.net entry and enter my user ID and password, and click "connect," I get a "Connected" message (not an error message).

However, going to ipchicken.com with the browser shows my home IP address (50.0.30.xxx), not a VPN IP address. (Using VPN on my iPad, ipchicken.com reports an IP address of 209.204.163.9).

I've tried this away from home, while on 3G, and I get an IP address in my wireless provider's range, not in Sonic.net's VPN range.

The phone is an HTC EVO V, running ICS (4.0.3).

Any thoughts where to look for troubleshooting? ...thanks!
by scharfs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:50 am
I checked the IP address on my Nexus 7 (Jelly Bean), and it does change to a Sonic.net VPN address when I turn on VPN (209.204.163.5). Ditto for my HTC Incredible (209.204.163.9). Also checked my ZTE Z990 (which I use when I travel and purchase prepaid SIM cards).

Oddly, with Opera Mini on the ZTE Z990, I get an IP address of 141.0.9.227 which is the Opera Mini host. When I check it with the Dolphin browser (for some reason Chrome and Firefox won't work on the ZTE Z990) I get a Sonic.net VPN address (209.204.163.10). Then I went back and tried Opera Mini on my Nexus 7, and I got 141.0.8.143.

So some browsers may be doing some strange things. What browser are you using? Try the Dolphin browser, or Chrome or Firefox if you're using Opera now.
by virtualmike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:39 am
I tried ipchicken with the Dolphin browser, and got the same IP address as with the stock Android browser--the same IP address my non-VPN laptop's browser shows for ipchicken.

As a separate test, I started Air Droid, and my laptop was able to connect to it. If the HTC were connected properly to VPN, then the apps on the Android should not be able to talk to devices on my side of the router's firewall.
by scharfs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:50 am
You might want to try the VpnCilla (Trial) app. No rooting is necessary.
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:17 am
Thanks for the reference. While checking that out, I also saw Cisco's AnyConnect, with a specific HTC version. I haven't explored this fully, but it appears I may have multiple options.
by scharfs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:33 am
virtualmike wrote:Thanks for the reference. While checking that out, I also saw Cisco's AnyConnect, with a specific HTC version. I haven't explored this fully, but it appears I may have multiple options.
Reading more about VPN and Android, it appears that even some Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean versions on some devices do not include the VPN routing infrastructure. If you don't get the choice "IPSec XAuth PSK" when you configure the VPN client on your Android device then you're probably out of luck using "plain VPN" on an unrooted device, even with some other client. They may have left out VPN because it's harder for the carrier to detect unauthorized tethering when the user is using VPN (though not impossible). OTOH, it couldn't hurt to try the trial version of VPNCilla to see if it works.

If you look at http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-evo-v ... =gtst6r9e#, and look at the VPN section, it shows only PPTP, L2TP, L2TP IPSec PSK, and L2TP IPSec CRT. None of these will work with Sonic (L2TP IPSec PSK is not the same as IPSec Xauth PSK).

There are instructions to root the HTC EVO V available. But unless there's a tun.ko module in the repository for the exact Android version that you're putting on, it won't work. http://theunlockr.com/2012/11/19/how-to ... 4g-virgin/.
by Guest » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm
Hey, thanks for this!
by virtualmike » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:44 am
scharfs wrote:If you look at http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-evo-v ... =gtst6r9e#, and look at the VPN section, it shows only PPTP, L2TP, L2TP IPSec PSK, and L2TP IPSec CRT. None of these will work with Sonic (L2TP IPSec PSK is not the same as IPSec Xauth PSK).
Mine seems to have that option:
by dscycler » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:21 am
Thanks for the HowTo. No problem connecting with the built in VPN app on my Samsung GS2 running cyanogenmod CM10.0.0. Android 4.1.2.
12 posts Page 1 of 2