Trouble with openvpn?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
31 posts Page 3 of 4
by dkirker » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:52 pm
tomoc wrote:As we are not direct AT&T customers, it is difficult to request that they re-route their outbound traffic towards us. Although it's a long shot, it may be worth reporting this problem to AT&T as well, as they do have the ability to migrate traffic off of the congested links.
Do you happen to have a contact that we can reach out to? I can with out a doubt guarantee that anyone I try to reach out to will be clueless, and since I am not a direct AT&T customer either they will have no clue what to do with my request... (Even if I were an AT&T customer I'd probably have to email the supposed email for the CEO to get any decent support -- still not sure if they ever actually fixed the security hole that I had to email higher up to get fixed for my former account.)

I know in the past Sonic has indicated that they would not create a package that was just VPN. Is there any chance that Sonic has reconsidered this? At least for those of us stuck in the black hole? I honestly don't even mind if it still has my phone account tied to it (as in it is the VPN + the Sonic phone account -- everything Fusion was less the AT&T part).
by kgc » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:00 pm
Some Network Engineering chatter this morning suggested that ATT <-> Sonic throughput is much improved as of this morning.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dkirker » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm
kgc wrote:Some Network Engineering chatter this morning suggested that ATT <-> Sonic throughput is much improved as of this morning.
I might have seen some improvement early this morning, but it has been degraded for the better part of the afternoon/evening...
by joss » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:18 am
I guess I have two questions:
  • Why did support tell me that this is the way it has always been? This was even after the support rep checked with their supervisor who offered that information. Looking at this thread, it is not true.
  • I am not sure I am interpreting the later thread replies correctly. But, going forward: is AT&T going to support FTTN clients long enough for Sonic FTTH to get to me? Is there an SLA in place that allows Sonic to have AT&T resolve this issue with quicker turn-around than two weeks (or more)? I ask because my status for FTTH is still in the "planning" stage and may be there for some time to come.
Edit to add: I am in San Rafael, about 3/4 mile north of downtown.
by tomoc » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:17 pm
Sorry for just focusing on the technical here, I'll try to get someone to address some of the other concerns.

The latest update is that our transit provider and AT&T have recognized there is congestion between their two networks, which they are working to upgrade. As of last week we routed our outbound traffic to a different provider which should have mitigated any potential problems from Sonic to AT&T. As far as inbound (AT&T's outbound), we do not have a mechanism to influence who AT&T send their traffic to, but we are working with them in hopes they are willing to temporarily migrate their outbound to another provider while upgrades are underway.
Tomoc
Sonic NOC
by elmatador » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:49 pm
Thanks Tomoc but alas it was running semi good and now it's back to square one.
by dkirker » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:20 pm
elmatador wrote:Thanks Tomoc but alas it was running semi good and now it's back to square one.
Yeah, I was noticing that the last couple of days were decent, but then it went down hill today (or late yesterday).

I actually do have a Home Assistant integration that runs a speed test. I can't guarentee that it is the best accuracy (and I'll have to see if I can set it to point to speedtest.sonic.net), but this is what it looks like over the last day or so:
Screenshot from 2023-06-15 19-18-48.png
Screenshot from 2023-06-15 19-18-48.png (19.31 KiB) Viewed 404 times
by joss » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:17 pm
I had a whopping 3Mbps just now.
by tomoc » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:45 am
dkirker wrote:
elmatador wrote:Thanks Tomoc but alas it was running semi good and now it's back to square one.
Yeah, I was noticing that the last couple of days were decent, but then it went down hill today (or late yesterday).

I actually do have a Home Assistant integration that runs a speed test. I can't guarentee that it is the best accuracy (and I'll have to see if I can set it to point to speedtest.sonic.net), but this is what it looks like over the last day or so:
If you're able to change the endpoint, make sure to use https://sonic.com/speedtest, as that is the endpoint that will only choose the Sonic speed test server.

I will be continuing to push on AT&T from my end
Tomoc
Sonic NOC
by tomoc » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:51 pm
From internal testing with employees on the AT&T U-Verse platform, we believe this is resolved (or mitigated). As of last night, peak hours, we saw consistently successful speed tests from AT&T to Sonic at ~950mbps/~950mbps for a gig connected customer. If you are still experiencing throughput issues (not over the VPN), please post your speed test results and a traceroute. Please also provide the /24 you're a part of, or feel free to DM me IP information if you aren't comfortable posting it publicly.

If you are just seeing issues over the VPN, you're welcome to post them as well, but please make sure to explicitly note that without the VPN, throughput is good.
Tomoc
Sonic NOC
31 posts Page 3 of 4