LAMORINDA wants Fiber - Dane get us some love!

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
22 posts Page 2 of 3
by Mgagnon » Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 am
I would love to have a real excuse to drop comcast, bit it is the only gigabit option in the area. I am in Moraga, and will join immediately once fiber is available
by Caroline » Sun May 31, 2020 11:20 am
Moraga Country Club needs fiber internet 94556
by jm5 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:04 pm
I live in the Concord/Clayton border and am tired of the poor internet. Currently have FTTN. Would love more upgrade options.
by archerda » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:40 pm
We've got a lot of people interested and many came over here from my Nextdoor post to let you all know it.

https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=149465436
by mystereeeee » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:19 pm
Hi Dane,

I'm a current Fiber user in south Berkeley, and have had it now for just a year. It was tough waiting for it, but it has been such a great product.

Unfortunately, Berkeley sucks to live in, and I am moving to Lafayette soon.

I am very sad to have to give Comcast my business again. Please make your way over the hills asap. These folks and myself would really love your super low latency fiber! Nothing else can compete!

If this isn't a technical possibility, please let us know.

Thank you for your time!
by tquiggle » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:31 am
Another LONG time Sonic customer (DSL then Fiber) moving to Moraga. Currently Sander Ranch has no fiber option at all - only Comcast coax. I'm sure if Sonic were to provide Fiber in the area, the majority of homes would switch. There is pent-up demand for fiber in the area.

PLEASE give Moraga some sweet fiber love!
by dane » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:37 pm
Do any residents know the City’s deployment policies there? Do the try to block competitive development, or do they welcome it?

Some cities block fiber construction by disallowing installation of safety bypass poles when they’re needed, or even ANY aerial construction by new public utilities like Sonic. Many do not allow microtrenching, and some done even allow trenchless directional boring.

If you’re interested in expansion to your city, do inquire with City leadership, because we are finding many cities are using a variety of tactics to stop new broadband construction. It’s unfortunate.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bmah » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:33 pm
dane wrote:Do any residents know the City’s deployment policies there? Do the try to block competitive development, or do they welcome it?

Some cities block fiber construction by disallowing installation of safety bypass poles when they’re needed, or even ANY aerial construction by new public utilities like Sonic. Many do not allow microtrenching, and some done even allow trenchless directional boring.

If you’re interested in expansion to your city, do inquire with City leadership, because we are finding many cities are using a variety of tactics to stop new broadband construction. It’s unfortunate.
Does Sonic have a set of questions to use when enquiring/interacting with city governments?

Also, +1 for Lafayette (Happy Valley area). Grateful to have the (now grandfathered I guess) resold AT&T 1G symmetric service through Sonic, hope it doesn't get sunsetted anytime soon because I'm not real happy with any of the alternatives.

Bruce.
by bmah » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:28 pm
I sent a very high-level (as in few technical details) inquiry to the City of Lafayette. I'm not even sure if anybody's going to read it, but I'll report back if I get anything substantive that can be shared.

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS. Residents of Moraga or Orinda (the other two parts of "Lamorinda" for the uninitiated) might want to contact their city governments.
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:04 pm
Another +1 for Orinda. Hoping that Sonic can build out this area as well!
22 posts Page 2 of 3