10 Gigabit Fiber - Downtown San Jose - Cannot Get Rated Speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:58 pm
mhcptg wrote:Hi Jerriel, the download speed is looking like 8 gbps plus now. The upload speed is looking like 2.X gbps. I believe this is close to the theoretical max for XG-PON with FEC enabled and the issue is fixed, but can you confirm that is indeed the expected speed?
Yes, on 10Gbps XGS-PON, after all of the overheads of error correction and protocols you would expect to see a bit over 8000Mbps of payload throughput.

Upload should be similar, but we generally see it a bit slower than upload in speed tests. I have seen up to 7300Mbps of throughput to a speed test. But this is likely due to limitations in the way the tests are set up: the upload test is generally very brief compared to download, because they seem to expect asymmetric connections. There just isn’t enough payload test time in the tests for it to reliably demonstrate full speed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mhcptg » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:26 pm
OK, no worries, I'll keep an eye on the upload, but I think we've got something solid with your team's latest fixes. Thanks to all of you for helping us out with this one this week.
by picancos » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:53 pm
On 2/8, I was getting 2.4 GB speeds on a 2020 13" MacBook pro with a 2.5 GB ethernet USB-C dongle and wifi disabled. Now today I'm only getting 417 MBs. Not sure if anyone else is encountering the same issues.

Attachments

by iwilson4 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:14 pm
Does this downtown fix also affect Naglee Park? I'm noticing no change in speeds (about 2G up/down).
by joseph.e.hoffman » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:18 pm
I also can't get rated speed. Cat7 cables and a Asus RT-AX88U 6000. I understand my router is capped at 6gb but I'm barely cracking 1gb directly connected. I do have other devices on a 1gb switch, so that's expected there, but on devices directly connected I should be close to 6 and 4.5 on wireless.

They did offer a tech look for a c note but I'd like to try to troubleshoot this here before going that route.
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 am
joseph.e.hoffman wrote:I also can't get rated speed. Cat7 cables and a Asus RT-AX88U 6000. I understand my router is capped at 6gb but I'm barely cracking 1gb directly connected. I do have other devices on a 1gb switch, so that's expected there, but on devices directly connected I should be close to 6 and 4.5 on wireless.

They did offer a tech look for a c note but I'd like to try to troubleshoot this here before going that route.
FWIW, it's highly unlikely, if not impossible that you'd get anywhere near 6gbps data transmission over wireless with current technology, generally speaking.

If you take a look at the tech specs page for your router, you'll see that even under the best of circumstances (aka, in a lab environment), on 5ghz you'll max out at 4804 mbps per device within your own network.

Additionally, that particular router only has a 1gbps WAN port, and its "support" for multigigabit WAN connections is limited to 2Gbps with link aggregation - meaning you'd need to have multiple WAN connections to make this functionality work.

tl;dr: You're running into limitations with your router, and you'd need one that truly supports a multigigabit WAN connection to get your speed any higher.
16 posts Page 2 of 2