10 Gigabit Fiber - Downtown San Jose - Cannot Get Rated Speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by mhcptg » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:41 pm
I just got the 10 Gigabit service set up today at my house in downtown San Jose. Unfortunately, I am a bit disappointed because I am not getting the advertised speed or really anything all that close to it. Since the network rolled out in my location here in the last week or so, I wonder if there might be some teething issues on Sonic's side, or if there is a more accurate way to test things besides what I am trying, which will get closer to the advertised speed.

I tried calling support but they did not really have any ideas and punted me to the forums, which was somewhat unfortunate... I would expect to have some more detailed testing procedures for evaluating these things. I checked everything in https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... r-Ethernet but it was pretty elementary and did not have much to say about a speed past 1 gbps but still way below 10 gbps.

I am only seeing about 2.2 gbps download and upload in the best case and less than 1 gbps in the average case, despite having some very recent high performance hardware.

I have tried it both through my router, and direct to my workstation with no router, to eliminate possible issues.

The router is Supermicro Superserver E300-9D-4CN8TP, which has an Xeon D-2123IT 2.2 / 3 GHz Skylake with 4 cores, and duel Intel SoC SFP+ and Intel X557 10GBase-T NICs, and DDR4 RAM, running PFSense 22.05-RELEASE. This box is spendy, is custom designed by SuperMicro to be a screaming fast SDN router.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/ ... 4CN8TP.cfm

The workstation is AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz with 8 cores, using an Asus ProArt X570 Creator WiFi motherboard with an
Aquantia AQC113CS 10GBase-T NIC, and I verified that the NIC's PCIe speed is higher than 10 gbps. By far not the shiniest workstation, but also not cheap or low-end stuff.

I did verify I have 10gbps port speed going from router and workstation to ONT, so the issue really seems to be ONT to outside. I have tried a number of different performance testing options.

iperf3 locally, between server and workstation, alternating server and client and forward and reverse, ipv4 and ipv6 - no less than 3.7 gbps, and up to nearly 6 gbps

https://www.sonic.com/speedtest - only about 2.2 gbps

ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/testfile.compressed.1000meg - only about 2.1 gbps

various iperf3 servers, because Sonic sadly has no server - only about 1 gbps at best

Is there anybody who has truly seen the advertised performance level? If so, in what location via what approach?
by mhcptg » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:29 pm
Multiple San Jose users are reporting the same issue with extensive tests in this part of a thread about 10gbps hardware:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17472&hilit=10+gig+10+gigabit&start=40
by mhcptg » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:31 pm
One user said, "A tech from Sonic visited me today and determined that the issue is not with my hardware, fiber run, or with the ONT. There is a ticket with the NOC. I got the impression that this may be a common issue in my area (downtown san jose)."

But nobody on the tech support line was aware of this.
by dane » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:16 pm
Word from NOC: There's an issue with the OLT (olt1.snjsca02) access module backplane which the vendor is working with us to resolve.

So it's a localized issue, should be resolved soon!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mhcptg » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:55 am
Any idea on ETA for the fix? This is multiple weeks of apparently multiple customers in the area seeing only 1/10th of rated speed.
by picancos » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 pm
Not as network-savvy as a lot of people in this forum, but replaced AT&T with Sonic as soon as I saw they were available in my area (Hyde Park/Japantown) with up to 10 GB speeds. Not running anything fancy as I live in an older duplex without ethernet wiring, but have been running an ASUS ZenWifi XT8 with a satellite unit on the opposite end of the property in my garage (separated by the other 2 bedroom 1 bathroom unit and 2 other garages).

When the tech installed the lines and ONT, he ran tests on his computer with one of those $200 10GB USB-C dongles and could only get 1GB max directly from the ONT to the ethernet port. Tried a different ethernet cable and got the same result. Said to call Support if the issue doesn't resolve itself. 3 days later, I connected the ethernet directly from the ONT 10 GB port to my 2.5 GB USB-C dongle on my 2020 MacBook M1 13" (max 5 GB), and still could only get 1 GB max download. This is with a direct connection to the ONT.

Called Sonic and they acknowledged the issue is them and that they're aware of it. As of today, it still isn't fixed. Just wanted to provide an update.
by jerrielm » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:55 pm
mhcptg wrote:
Any idea on ETA for the fix? This is multiple weeks of apparently multiple customers in the area seeing only 1/10th of rated speed.


picancos wrote:
Not as network-savvy as a lot of people in this forum, but replaced AT&T with Sonic as soon as I saw they were available in my area (Hyde Park/Japantown) with up to 10 GB speeds. Not running anything fancy as I live in an older duplex without ethernet wiring, but have been running an ASUS ZenWifi XT8 with a satellite unit on the opposite end of the property in my garage (separated by the other 2 bedroom 1 bathroom unit and 2 other garages).

When the tech installed the lines and ONT, he ran tests on his computer with one of those $200 10GB USB-C dongles and could only get 1GB max directly from the ONT to the ethernet port. Tried a different ethernet cable and got the same result. Said to call Support if the issue doesn't resolve itself. 3 days later, I connected the ethernet directly from the ONT 10 GB port to my 2.5 GB USB-C dongle on my 2020 MacBook M1 13" (max 5 GB), and still could only get 1 GB max download. This is with a direct connection to the ONT.

Called Sonic and they acknowledged the issue is them and that they're aware of it. As of today, it still isn't fixed. Just wanted to provide an update.



Hello Everyone!

I would like to inform you that we will be making a fix to this slow down in speed tomorrow night at midnight. 2/7/2023. This should fix the issues with speed. If you are still having issues on 2/8/2023 please give our Support Team a call so that we can get more examples to our NOC team. Thank you all for your patience in this.

-Jerriel M
by mhcptg » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:04 pm
Music to my ears Jerriel.

I'll test it and report back ASAP after the fix window.
by picancos » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:51 pm
jerrielm wrote:
mhcptg wrote:
Any idea on ETA for the fix? This is multiple weeks of apparently multiple customers in the area seeing only 1/10th of rated speed.


picancos wrote:
Not as network-savvy as a lot of people in this forum, but replaced AT&T with Sonic as soon as I saw they were available in my area (Hyde Park/Japantown) with up to 10 GB speeds. Not running anything fancy as I live in an older duplex without ethernet wiring, but have been running an ASUS ZenWifi XT8 with a satellite unit on the opposite end of the property in my garage (separated by the other 2 bedroom 1 bathroom unit and 2 other garages).

When the tech installed the lines and ONT, he ran tests on his computer with one of those $200 10GB USB-C dongles and could only get 1GB max directly from the ONT to the ethernet port. Tried a different ethernet cable and got the same result. Said to call Support if the issue doesn't resolve itself. 3 days later, I connected the ethernet directly from the ONT 10 GB port to my 2.5 GB USB-C dongle on my 2020 MacBook M1 13" (max 5 GB), and still could only get 1 GB max download. This is with a direct connection to the ONT.

Called Sonic and they acknowledged the issue is them and that they're aware of it. As of today, it still isn't fixed. Just wanted to provide an update.



Hello Everyone!

I would like to inform you that we will be making a fix to this slow down in speed tomorrow night at midnight. 2/7/2023. This should fix the issues with speed. If you are still having issues on 2/8/2023 please give our Support Team a call so that we can get more examples to our NOC team. Thank you all for your patience in this.

-Jerriel M



Appreciate it, Jerriel! Got the email that confirmed the fix tonight. Thank you!
by mhcptg » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:40 pm
Hi Jerriel, the download speed is looking like 8 gbps plus now. The upload speed is looking like 2.X gbps. I believe this is close to the theoretical max for XG-PON with FEC enabled and the issue is fixed, but can you confirm that is indeed the expected speed?
16 posts Page 1 of 2

Who is online

In total there are 8 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 999 on Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 am

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests