Native IPv6 Prefix Delegation?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
20 posts Page 1 of 2
by barewi » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:20 am
Excited that IPv6 is coming—just like winter ❄️⛷️ is.

With Comcast I’ve used /60 or /64 Prefix Delegations…WebPass and MonkeyBrains were /56. Will Sonic be /56 as well?

(Not sure why most other routers don’t ask the user to specify this, I think DHCPv6 and RA should handle, but UniFi still asks.)
by dane » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:45 am
We're rolling out with a /64 prefix at this time because we've found that much of the residential equipment, including equipment we've supplied to tens of thousands of customers, will not support a /56. We'll be working with the vendors to resolve that, and if and when that's solved, we'd have the ability to change the allocation to a /56 at that time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mgoldburg » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:00 pm
Dane, will multiple prefixes be available to a given customer?

The use case here is different prefixes on a customer's different internal networks ... very useful for building firewall rules between internal networks. Thanks.
by dane » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:14 pm
No, not at this time, because allocating a larger prefix turns out to break a lot of commonly deployed consumer electronics, including at least one of the CPE that we have provided in large quantities to our own customers. We’ll need to see them roll out fixes for that before we would be able to change the prefix size.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mgoldburg » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:21 pm
Apologies, I wasn't clear. I was asking about multiple /64's, e.g., for a customer with their own router attached to the Sonic ONT. Thanks!
by dane » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:26 pm
No, it’s a single dynamically allocated /64 block at this time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by msiegen » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:04 pm
Interesting to learn the reason why it's a /64. Thanks for that! :geek:

Putting on my armchair sysadmin hat, I'm curious if Sonic has explored configuring the DHCP server with 2 address pools of different prefix lengths? Clients provide their preferred length in the SOLICIT message, so if the buggy devices are correctly asking for a /64 (big assumption!) then in principle it's possible for the server to differentiate and select a prefix from the appropriate pool.
by artakamoose » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:02 pm
Great thread. Thanks for starting this!

On a related note, what the best way to find out if we have native IPv6 in our location? I'm curious because my neighborhood just went live in the last month or so.
by dane » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:50 pm
There are IPv6 test sites you can visit. Sorry, I don’t have a URL for one handy. Google!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:57 pm
20 posts Page 1 of 2