iPerf to 10 Gbit XGS-PON ONT: is it Possible? [iPerf VM Server Suggestions Welcome]

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by barewi » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:21 pm
I just had 10 Gbit service installed in northern SF, and I'm generally super happy with the performance. However, I have noticed some inconsistencies:
  1. The tech who installed fiber can pull and push roughly 7 Gbit, directly at the ONT on his test ThinkPad over a Thunderbolt-10Gig adapter
  • My Dream Machine Pro SE can pull 4.5 Gbit down, but only upload 445 Mbit up, according to its built-in speed test; it's only rated for 3.5 Gbit of routing speed
  • Wired clients like a MacBook Pro routinely get 960 Mbit down and up over gigabit ethernet
Later today hopefully I'll get to try my first 2.5 Gbit Intel Ethernet client and a 5 Gbit Thunderbolt ethernet adapter.

All that said, I really just want to test speeds to the ONT. Can I run an iPerf test to the ONT to ensure that the crap CAT5e ethernet I have running to the garage isn't the bottleneck?

Maybe all I can do is wait for Ubiquiti to update/improve the speed test?
by artakamoose » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:53 pm
The speedtest built into the Unifi controller isn't very accurate. That said, the UDM Pro and Pro SE can both route higher than 3.5G depending on how you have them configured. The 3.5G limitation only applies if you're running IDS/IPS.

I found some instructions for running iperf on the UDM Pro but the SE uses a different OS, so I'm thinking this won't work without some modification.
https://jekhokie.github.io/unifi/networ ... e-pro.html
by dane » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:23 pm
Speed tests hosted on devices often struggle at speeds over a gigabit, just like speed tests in web browsers do. Test from a computer, on Ethernet, using a speed test app, not just the web browser.

https://www.speedtest.net/apps/desktop
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by calaniz1313 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:32 pm
barewi wrote:I just had 10 Gbit service installed in northern SF, and I'm generally super happy with the performance. However, I have noticed some inconsistencies:
What part of SF? I’m waiting for sonic to roll out 10 gig upgrade in the Richmond neighborhood. Curious wether the current bottle neck is the upgrade tool development or hardware upgrade at the CO. Assuming it’s still both those but one can dream!
by barewi » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:33 am
There seems to be XGS-PON in this fine neo-gothic/church-looking CO:

https://goo.gl/maps/Ajc4NY8f7ZyRvCtx8
(wow they don't build 'em like they used to!)

It serves me at Buchanan and Broadway, as well as my friend at Jackson and Powell.

Run a traceroute/tracert to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 to see which CO gets you online. Since you're in the Richmond, I suspect you're on SNFCCA13, which is at 389 9th Ave, 1st Floor, San Francisco, CA 94118. Since my CO is a newer addition to the system, I think it has XGS-PON cards in the "head end" (oops, cable-speak) instead of GPON, whereas yours might "just" have GPON...for now.

That said, it's all relative. Be glad you're not in an oversubscribed Comcast node!
by daniel15 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:16 pm
barewi wrote:according to its built-in speed test
The UDM Pro (and Pro SE) doesn't have a very powerful CPU, and the built-in test ends up being CPU-bound rather than network-bound. I wouldn't rely on it.
by keithah42 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:47 am
I'm using
daniel15 wrote:
barewi wrote:according to its built-in speed test
The UDM Pro (and Pro SE) doesn't have a very powerful CPU, and the built-in test ends up being CPU-bound rather than network-bound. I wouldn't rely on it.
I have a UDM SE as I said here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17472&p=61103#p61103

And am quite impressed with the speeds I can get, it does not feel like a bottleneck, esp looking at the stats while running one of these tests it, unless I'm trying to do IDS/IPS.
7 posts Page 1 of 1