Slower speeds with 10gb fiber compared to AT&T's 1gb

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by starslip » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:58 am
I had sonic 10gb fiber installed on Thursday and am having performance issues I can't seem to resolve. The ONT installed by Sonic is a WAG-052C by a company called Azores. I'm running the 10gb port to a TP-Link Archer C7 (which I understand is not exactly a robust router at this point, but it's what I have pending the decision of whether it's worthwhile to upgrade my network). Using AT&T I consistently get 900+mb upload and download speed tests, and have sustained actual downloads of over 100 MBps, which is consistent with the speed tests. Using Sonic I can't seem to break 700mb download speed tests, with the upload speed fluctuating wildly (sometimes 300, sometimes 900). The inconsistency is troubling, as well as having 10gb at the wall but performing worse than the 1gb.

Things I've tried:
*connecting the ONT directly to a computer with a 2.5gb NIC. Speeds did improve over the 1gb mark but only reached about 1500 on the best run which seems consistent with the 30-40% under-performance I'm seeing at 1gb speeds

*using the provided eero 6 as the router instead of the tp-link. Speed tests in the eero app showed 900+ for upload and download at the eero but speeds to the rest of the network remained the same as using the tp-link

I realize not much can necessarily be done to diagnose my network beyond the provided equipment but it's frustrating to have slower speeds across the exact same setup when compared to service that's slower at the wall, and I'm hesitant to buy expensive 10gb routers, switches, and NICs when I'm uncertain about what performance will actually be like. Can anyone give any hypotheticals on why I might see a decrease in speed simply by virtue of upgrading the speed at the wall?
Screenshot 2022-11-27 09.06.14.png
This is my current speed using the speedtest app on Windows
Screenshot 2022-11-27 09.06.14.png (40.59 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
by theyipper » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:17 pm
Are you using a consistent test server? If I don't specify a particular server I find Speedtest results tend to be wildly different.
by starslip » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:18 pm
theyipper wrote:Are you using a consistent test server? If I don't specify a particular server I find Speedtest results tend to be wildly different.
Yes. Here are two tests done within a couple minutes of each other, both to Sonic's server, the only change being the ISP (first Sonic then AT&T)

Attachments

by nsitapara » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:39 pm
I had this similar effect due to settings on my Asus router, for some reason the adaptive QoS was messed up when I switched over. I reset my router settings to make sure there isn't any bandwidth limitting going on and it was back to normal after that on the affected client. Could be something similar in your case?
by starslip » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:37 am
nsitapara wrote:I had this similar effect due to settings on my Asus router, for some reason the adaptive QoS was messed up when I switched over. I reset my router settings to make sure there isn't any bandwidth limitting going on and it was back to normal after that on the affected client. Could be something similar in your case?
I had to factory reset the router prior to using it as it had been being used solely as an access point previously. I don't see any QoS or bandwidth control settings enabled.

I'd be lying if I said this was going to affect my day to day use, it's hardly a deal breaker with the network hardware I have now. It's just one of those things that's going to nag at me and I'm going to keep picking at it because the expanded headroom should mean I get max throughput on my gigabit devices and I'm...not.
by starslip » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:42 pm
Test transfers across computers connected to the same router show 110MBps, so about 880mbps, which is consistent with speeds I saw on the AT&T gigabit service. I don't think it's my network.

Dane I think I've seen you say that the nature of fiberoptic service means it's either working at 100% or it's not working at all, but something is going on here that's causing inconsistency between the AT&T service and Sonic's preventing me from fully saturating my gigabit bandwidth. The tech said this is a test area for the WAG-052C ONT and I've seen most of the other people on here posting about having the adtrans. Has performance been normal for other WAG-052C households?
by starslip » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:09 am
So, for what will hopefully be the final update on this: I got a new router for Christmas (tp-link axe16000) and basically all my issues are resolved. I can get ~7800mbps down to a 10g card and ~2350 to a 2.5, and devices connected at 1g hit their full speed.

I still don't understand it as traffic within the network and from at&t worked at the full 1 gig speeds on my c7, but...whatever. So far the axe16000 is working like a charm so fingers crossed.
by dane » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:48 am
Glad to hear it, thanks for posting the follow up.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1