How to upgrade to 10gb

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 6 of 7
by dane » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:43 am
dhamsher wrote:@Dane any updates on process for upgrading in SF?
We don't have an update on timing yet. Neighborhoods where we've got 10G in the CO will get it first though, so if your neighbors are getting 10Gbps, you'll be able to too. Areas that are still all 1Gbps in the CO will require upgrades to the CO, some of which are complex due to power/heat density of the new 10Gbps equipment. The plan is to have an upgrade request tool online in the member tools soon.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by qiuwn002 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:25 am
js9erfan wrote:
qiuwn002 wrote:May I ask how "Soon" will the upgrade option become available in SF sunset district? Also if I remap my ethernet cable, should I upgrade from cat5e to cat6, or to cat8?
I wired my house with cat 6a a couple years ago. Its pretty thick making the runs a bit tougher but happy I went with it. Depending on the length of your runs you should go cat 6 at a minimum assuming you're future proofing for 10G.

https://community.fs.com/blog/should-we ... ase-t.html
I was thinking either going with 6 or 8 - yeah i am future proofing for 10g or even more for the next few years.. Since I am doing it, why not kicking it to the max? haha.
by jnath » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:34 pm
Hey Dane!

Want to express my support for 10Gb in the Sunset. Happy to pay a premium.
by dane » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:19 am
jnath wrote:Hey Dane!

The current plan is to maintain a consistent monthly price for service regardless of speed. But upgrading a premise from 1Gbps to 10Gbps equipment would be a one-time fee. We're currently targeting $299.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jfa_roy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:46 am
dane wrote:
jnath wrote:Hey Dane!

The current plan is to maintain a consistent monthly price for service regardless of speed. But upgrading a premise from 1Gbps to 10Gbps equipment would be a one-time fee. We're currently targeting $299.
That's a bargain for the productivity it will unlock. As the meme goes, shut up and take my money!
by nobaq » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:38 pm
Are there plans/work for 10GB for San Mateo (around 9th Ave)?

I think there are nearby areas with 10G already?

(I'd be really happy to pay for the upgrade as well)
by rjchrhl » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:58 am
Second that request for San Mateo around 9th Ave…. My townhouse is already wired with Cat 6a and fiber, just waiting for 10Gb service and happy to pay for it!
by lennynchris » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:08 am
Redwood City here - sign us up!!! :-)
by barewi » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:38 am
This is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post, but there is one simple way to upgrade to Sonic 10 Gbit:

Buy or rent the unit next to yours and move in there. If you already have 1 Gbit and the unit next to yours hasn't installed Sonic yet, it can be installed in the adjacent apartment/unit. Of course this doesn't work for single family homes.

Caveat 1:
For those of you eager to try 10 Gbit, I experienced one caveat: I did discover that ping times for me went from 3.3 ms to 4.3 ms on the new ONT. I run PingPlotter to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 as my standard test, though there's probably a more scientific option.

My friend who got 10 Gbit Sonic in Russian Hill did not have the same issue; I think his ping times went down to 1 ms or so on an Asus RT-AX88U, so maybe it's my SFP+ adapter on my Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro SE adding some latency, or the fact that the folks who built my condo ran CAT5e only down to the garage, not CAT6A+. Shame! Shame.

Some nitty gritty:
On my old 1 Gbit Sonic link, in the old unit I was living in, I never had massive spikes in ping times to the intermediate servers between me and 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8. Now I see pretty big spikes from 301.irb.cr2.snfcca12.sonic.net, 0.ae1.cr1.colaca01.sonic.net, and 0.ae0.cr1.snrfca01.sonic.net, up to 200ms, whereas maybe they used to peak at 50 ms max. Since I only took one computer networking class in grad school, I'll assume those servers are just doing their prioritized routing jobs rather than responding to my silly pings, but they could also be overloaded. I hope I'm not the culprit for overloading the Northern SF Central Office (CO)! I know those XGS-PON combo cards are expensive, working hard, and I can be patient. Ever since Mark Shuttleworth griped about not being able to get Gigabit fiber anywhere in London, back in 2009, I've dreamed of handily disposing of the ubiquitous, asymmetrical cable modem. Honestly, if you can get Sonic (or a fixed wireless provider with similar performance), be grateful: it's always an upgrade whether it's 1 Gbit or 10Gbit. Now how about that IPv6 again? ;)

Caveat 2:
Maybe I don't have precisely the right gear to solve this problem, but I bought a Ubituiti Unifi Dream Machine SE, knowing it was "future proof" enough to support 2.5 Gbit access points in conjunction with the right switch, that it could handle my cable modem on its 2.5 Gbit port, and with a SFP+ adapter, it could handle Sonic 10 Gbit. But maybe really I should be running fiber as a patch from my garage up into my unit. Oh, and to connect desktops at more than 1 Gbit, I've had to buy a $400 switch for my top floor. Anyway, assuming you don't live in a studio or know how to get secondhand MikroTik routing equipment for cheap, you're apt to pay a premium on hardware that runs at faster than 1 Gbit speeds.
(The Unifi 6 Enterprises are maybe overkill, but they do have 2.5 Gbit uplink, and cost 3 Benjamins each. I'm thankful a WFH stipend will be subsidizing them.)

What might be your only alternative, and it's not great:
It's funny because I still use the other mercenary red-hued NBC Universal internet provider as a failover, only paying them the minimum amount, 40 buckaroos every moon, including a basic cable TV package, for sports and the Blue Angels livestream—better luck, next year! They've given me minimum upload speeds at 15 Mbit, which actually gives me usable up to 20 Mbit, IPv6 /60 block (yay!), and I'm over a Gbit on download speeds when I should be getting 50 Mbit per my contract. That said, 9-20 ms ping times are a decidedly worse internet WFH experience with jitter and bufferbloat. I'm on a MB8611 modem, so there's still an upgrade path to the pricier S33, but not a worthwhile investment for my failover connection.
by psireau » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:24 am
barewi wrote:This is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post, but there is one simple way to upgrade to Sonic 10 Gbit:
Buy or rent the unit next to yours and move in there.
That's assuming the CO serving your area has already been upgraded with XGS-PON combo cards (which doesn't seem to be the case in my neighborhood)...
66 posts Page 6 of 7