IPv6 with Sonic ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
159 posts Page 5 of 16
by kpabap » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:53 pm
Any news if native IPv6 support is enabled/coming to San Jose on the 10 Gbps service?

Just got it installed today but no luck with either DHCPv6 or RA on my router.
by markrobinson » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:45 pm
That's wonderful to hear it's being rolled out. Can't wait for more cities to be added.
by pancakes » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:47 pm
It looks like the lucky customers in Sebastopol and Santa Rosa have received IPv6 support. Can anyone share what Sonic is using for the prefix delegation size (/56?)
by js9erfan » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:03 am
pancakes wrote:It looks like the lucky customers in Sebastopol and Santa Rosa have received IPv6 support. Can anyone share what Sonic is using for the prefix delegation size (/56?)
Good question. I can pull a /60 from Xfinity via DHCP6 but was not able to pull a /56, /60 or /64 from Sonic fiber here in Santa Rosa. This was via a pfSense box. Also tried with prefix hint enabled and disabled, no PD preference, etc. but still no dice. Perhaps rebooting the pfSense box would have made a difference after enabling IPv6 but the disruption isn't doable at the moment.

I emailed Sonic support and got the following reply:
Thank you for reaching out to Sonic Support. IPv6 configuration on 3rd party routers is unsupported by our support staff. For a question like this, I would recommend posting this to the Sonic Forums at https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us
Perhaps someone from their network team can chime in here.
by joemiller » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:07 pm
You're able to get a single v6 addr via RA though?

It would indeed be very unfortunate if sonic ipv6 does not include PD :|
by msiegen » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:56 pm
Congrats to the whole team at Sonic for getting this launched! It's been a long road and I'm happy to see a successful start of the rollout.

PD does work and I'm able to pull a /64 in Santa Rosa. Attempts at a /48, /56, or /60 are also met with a /64 in response. I'm using wide-dhcpv6-client on Debian.

Wondering if there are plans to offer shorter prefixes in the future. That's important if a user has multiple subnets. For example, Nest WiFi devices can only enable IPv6 on the guest network if the ISP prefix is shorter than 64 bits. It's also best practice: RIPE has a great explanation of why, but ARIN makes similar recommendations, and all of that's based on the RFCs. Other companies provide it; AT&T and Xfinity each do /60, Google Fiber and Comcast Business do /56, so I expect one day Sonic can get there as well. In the meantime I'll continue to route my extra subnets over Sonic's 6in4 tunnel (which is awesome and I hope never goes away, because it's static and can delegate reverse DNS :) ).
by jfa_roy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:56 pm
Exciting to see this finally making progress. I haven’t checked again yet here (San Francisco Mission).

Very strong support for at least /60, ideally /56, prefix length. Thanks for all those great links, saved me a lot of time ;)
by tigertech » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:08 am
Yes, please, please, please allow /48 or /56. There's really no reason to not just issue /48s to every customer: 2602:240::/28 already contains over a million /48s to allocate, and if more than that are needed, another larger IPv6 block from ARIN would be free at Sonic's existing IPv4 size.

Note that RIPE says "It is strongly discouraged to assign prefixes longer than /56 unless there are very strong and unsolvable technical reasons for doing this", and "assigning a /64 or longer prefix does not conform to IPv6 standards and will break functionality in customer LANs" (their emphasis).
by tarunnagpal » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:44 am
Let me add support for /48 and also it would be nice to know region rollout plans!
by ifurita » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:54 pm
Had my MAC table cleared becuase it was flooded. Noticed that I got a IPv6 address after rebooting. But test sites cannot detect or ping the address. Was it not supposed to be enabled?

Attachments

159 posts Page 5 of 16