SONIC COMING SOON!! I have questions!

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by silverkx2000 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:49 am
SONIC IS COMING TO DOWNTOWN SAN JOSE SOON AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!

I got the email a couple days ago and as soon as everything at the CO gets situated, I should be ready to roll with an install.

Though I do have some questions regarding installation.
I happen to live in a low income tax credit apartment building and the last time I tried to set something up with Verizon 5G home internet (yuck) the apartment manager advised me that they don't allow anything to be mounted on the outside or have anything on a pole for that matter that's pointed at the tower. She told me that my choices are either AT&T or Xfinity.

I have a suspicion that Xfinity and AT&T may have a so-called "Sweetheart Deal" with my apartment complex (which is soon to be federally outlawed) but I have no concrete evidence on that yet.

I know that in some areas, Sonic piggybacks off of AT&T for their fiber and we happen to have AT&T lines in the FACP room that I believe run underground.

My question is: If we already have AT&T lines running into the building, can we run fiber through those lines or does an entirely new line have to be installed. How hard is it going to be to convince my apartment complex to let me have Sonic?

I'm just scared that I'll have to be stuck with Xfinity and I honestly just want to drop them the second you guys come online.

Have a great week!
~Caleb
by dane » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 am
While property owners cannot legally bar tenants from obtaining telecom service from the utility of their choice, we certainly have many building owners who try. We're currently engaged in legal proceedings against one large property owner who has blocked us from multiple buildings.

And yes, Sonic brings our own new fiber to every unit of the building. Ideally, we love to coordinate with property ownership and managers to do all of the installations at once, which minimizes hassle for them and is less disruptive to tenants. That equips the whole property with Sonic fiber, which is a great asset when leasing to new tenants etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by silverkx2000 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:03 am
DANE! THE LEGEND HIMSELF! lol

Without giving too much information about where I live, I hope that property management doesn't start with a "B" and end with an "M."

I've been doing some research and it doesn't seem like it would be too hard considering that this building was built within the last 10 years or so and outfitted with Ethernet throughout the entire building (including the drops for AT&T)

Anyway, Hope to see you in my complex soon guys! Been looking forward to this for WAY too long! :D
by dane » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:48 am
Sounds good, and I hope we don't run into issues with the property!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1