Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 15 of 16
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:42 am
ranous wrote:Install went great. I'm getting solid 900+ Mbs both up and down. I have a Unifi UDM Pro router, which can route faster than a gigabit. I bought a SFP+ to RJ45 adapter, but it doesn't seem to work when connected to the ONT. The LED on the SFP+ adapter lights up, but the UDM doesn't seem to recognize it. I bought the cheapest adapter on Amazon that claims Ubiquiti compatibility, but perhaps that was a mistake. I'll return it and but the Ubiquiti model and see if that works.

BTW, I'm a block from Sequoia High School.

Alex
I've heard of folks having issues with some SFP+ adapters and the UDMP- I have had good luck with ones from CableMatters with mine if that's of any help.
by ranous » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:14 pm
Ok, replaced the generic SFP+ to RJ45 module with the Ubiquiti one and it works fine. When I run the speedtest directly on the UniFi controller on the UDM Pro, I'm seeing download speeds of around 6 Gbps and uploads of 3 Gbps. I suspect the upload speeds are mostly a limitation of the speedtest server that the UniFi controller is using.

I also bought a UniFi USW-Enterprise-24-PoE switch, which has 24 2.5 GbE ethernet ports and 2 10G SFP+ ports. I bought a cheap 10G SFP+ DAC cable to connect to the UDM Pro. I have a Caldigit thunderbolt 4 dock connected to my Macbook Pro which has a 2.5 Gbs ethernet port. Running speedtest on my Mac I'm seeing around 2.3 Gbs both up and down.

Alex
by rconti » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:47 pm
Contractors for Sonic with a cherry picker working on the pole right outside my house in Friendly Acres!!!
by abhayap » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:05 pm
I got the below update in my email today. I’m on Hopkins Ave near Alameda del las Pulgas. How long left before I can get connected?
Our team of contractors has begun working in your area prepping and connecting fiber cable to the telephone poles in your community. We will continue to update you as progress moves along. We are so excited to bring your neighborhood the fastest, most affordable internet in America.
by nematsakis » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:59 pm
I live in the Selby / Horgan Ranch neighborhood bordered by Woodside, Alameda de Las Pugas, Stockbridge, and Selby lane. Here's my timetable:
  • Aug 2021: Received postcard ad in mail, pre-ordered fiber
  • Sep 2022: Received email stating "construction" phase is underway, my area is forecasted to be "live with fiber" in Spring 2023.
I'm assuming "live with fiber" means "taking appointments for installation", but it's not said explicitly.
by abhayap » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:05 pm
I got the same email. Fingers crossed.
by bayfiber » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:14 am
So I'm finally getting Fiber installed at the end of the month and it seems I have 10 GBps support at my address and they have a whole a new pricing structure for 10GBps when you check your availability at Sonic.com:

Basic: $30 for 10GBps fiber without email/vpn and phone-based support, (SMS and email support only)
Standard: $40 for 10GBps fiber WITH email/vpn and phone support,
Fusion: $50 for 10GBps fiber WITH email/vpn and phone support AND home phone.

I don't need yet another ISP email address or phone support so the basic tier will do just fine when I finally get service.

Anybody else in this area lucky to get 10GBps?
by akrieger » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:38 am
My estimated light-up date was pushed back til Spring, but once it happens it'll be 10G as well.
by rconti » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:52 pm
I'm on Page Street in Fair Oaks and just saw trucks stringing the poles yesterday a few blocks north of my house-- they confirmed they're working for Sonic, not AT&T. No comms from Sonic yet (eg, it's not THAT close :D ) but it's getting closer!!
by nematsakis » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:54 pm
Just got a notice that Sonic has created a new "Construction Update Page" to tell you when you will get internet.

Dane—I sincerely do not want this to come across as anything other than constructive criticism, but this page is really poorly designed and any designers or product managers who were involved in the design and approval of this page need to go back to the drawing board.

The whole point of the page is to tell you where you are in the process. The entire "above the fold" area is a static image. Below that, is a bunch more static text. After scrolling, I come to the actual dynamic content on the page (finally!), which tells me only that I am in the "pre-construction" state, from the four states: Planning, Pre-construction, In-Construction, you're Live!

Below that is some text that may be related to being in the "pre-construction" state that is completely generic and unactionable to me. It talks about how you are talking state representatives, and your GIS and Plant teams, whatever those are. It might as well tell me what your workers are eating for lunch.

Before I came to this page, I knew that I couldn't start using Sonic. After this page ... I don't know anything more. The only information anyone visiting this page wants to know is "When can I use Sonic?" and the page fails to deliver.

I understand that there is uncertainty in this answer, but it seems intentionally obtuse to ignore this and not have any dates or date ranges on the page. If there is uncertainty, communicate with us and embrace that. It reflects poorly to not be able to commit to even the vaguest possible date range when communicating to customers who have already pre-ordered your service. This page really says to me this is a company that doesn't value its customers time and trust.
snap.png
snap.png (287.39 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
160 posts Page 15 of 16