Slow internet speeds on Wi-Fi

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by jayescee » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:20 pm
The internet speeds that I'm currently getting through wireless has been utterly disappointing. My computers are in the back of the house while the Sonic gateway is located in the front of the house in the basement with an eero 6 placed in the room next to where my computers are at. Are there possible solutions to increase the Wi-Fi speeds without having to run ethernet cables from the gateway to the back of the house where my computers are? Would maybe getting the eero 6 Pro be enough to get faster Wi-Fi speeds? Please let me know!

Attachments

by jerrielm » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:45 am
Hello!

This seems even low for WiFi. Depending on your range and how the eeros are set up it could be a distance issue. Do you get better speeds on any other device, are the speeds better at any time of the day? Are speeds better when getting closer to the eero? What type of devices are you using?

Best Wishes!
by jayescee » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:56 am
jerrielm wrote:Hello!

This seems even low for WiFi. Depending on your range and how the eeros are set up it could be a distance issue. Do you get better speeds on any other device, are the speeds better at any time of the day? Are speeds better when getting closer to the eero? What type of devices are you using?

Best Wishes!
With my laptop (not what I use daily) plugged in, I'm getting the full benefit of Sonic fiber. Looks like it is a distance issue. But even with being right next to the eero Gateway, I am only getting around 200-300 Mbps on Wi-Fi on both my laptop and mobile device. Speed throughout the day have ranged between the 30-90 Mbps with my computer (being on Wi-Fi) and the other computer being hooked up by ethernet to an eero (not the Gateway) located in the bedroom.
by lyser » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:09 pm
I'm using Ethernet Over Powerline to feed an Access Point at the far end of the house. This works fine, faster than a wifi repeater.

When the Sonic tech installed my fiber Gateway, I asked him if EOP could be used to locate the Gateway at a distance from the point where the fiber comes through the wall. He thought about that for a moment then replied it should work, that's a standard Ethernet cable between the Gateway and the wall, it shouldn't make a difference if that 'cable' is virtual.

In my old house only a couple of circuits (breakers) were suitable for Ethernet Over Powerline devices, you might have better luck.
4 posts Page 1 of 1