Best home solution to access 10GBe fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
34 posts Page 3 of 4
by chrisageorge » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:17 pm
dfredwood wrote:AXE11000 WiFi Mesh System (RBKE963)

NETGEAR® Orbi™ Quad-band WiFi 6E Mesh System, 10.8Gbps

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbke963/

Has anyone tried this router? I like that it has a 10GB WAN port to produce wifi 6 speeds, and has a 2.5GB port as well as a few 1GB ports for wired connections.
I have and it’s been nothing but trouble for 6 months.

While directly connected to the 10gbps Ethernet port it barely gets 900mbps consistently on the device’s webpage based Speedtest. It might jump to (or show) over 3000gbps every so often on upload. It’s unclear (to me) if this is just the device’s Speedtest or just the device, after two replacements.

Netgear’s technical support team, and developers weren’t much help either after hours of debugging info and logs.
by dane » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:17 pm
I don't think you'll find an in-device speed test that'll show 10Gbps speed. Even fast laptops with browser-based tests can't keep up in my experience. The only test on a consumer device that I'm aware of which can demonstrate the performance is the Speedtest dedicated app on a laptop, of course connected with 10Gbps Ethernet. I'm using a Thunderbolt 10Gbps adaptor, which is about $300 on Amazon.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ifurita » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 pm
QNAP QHora-301W + ASUS XG-C100C.

On Ethernet:
by aforkosh » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:43 pm
Using a MacStudio connected via Ethernet directly to the Sonic box installed in early April in Oakland:
sonic 10gbps to Sonic.jpg
sonic 10gbps to Sonic.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 973 times
I also tried connecting to some other services, but they all showed much lower speeds except for Comcast. I suspect that was due to the limitations of their test servers.
by chrisageorge » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm
dane wrote:I don't think you'll find an in-device speed test that'll show 10Gbps speed. Even fast laptops with browser-based tests can't keep up in my experience. The only test on a consumer device that I'm aware of which can demonstrate the performance is the Speedtest dedicated app on a laptop, of course connected with 10Gbps Ethernet. I'm using a Thunderbolt 10Gbps adaptor, which is about $300 on Amazon.
Like others posted, on my Mac Studio I get between 8 - 9gbps consistently which is fantastic. You guys work awesome!

Netgear’s Ethernet port is super inconsistent it seems, possibly because it does not like CAT8?

I’m waiting for my CAT6A cable to verify but I’ve certainly seen one or two in every 100 test go to 3 - 4gbps. I’m certainly not expecting an exact 10gbps, but I do expect more than 1gbps for a device that claims to be able to do so!

I agree on the browser proper, those are limited — chrome and safari are roughly 3gbps per SpeedTest’s blog post about their 10gbps test. As I understand it the webpage is a front for a background process since it really just shows a number on this basic HTML page with a logo after a test is complete but this goes for its iOS apps as well. (Verfied)
by drewu » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:29 pm
Can the Sonic ONT plug directly into the Dream Machine 10G SFP+ port, or is an adapter needed?
by kgc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:33 pm
drewu wrote:Can the Sonic ONT plug directly into the Dream Machine 10G SFP+ port, or is an adapter needed?
You'll need a 10GBase-T SFP+ transceiver module.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by drewu » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:15 pm
any that people can recommend? I've read they can be finicky depending on the hardware you're using them with
by js9erfan » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:46 am
drewu wrote:any that people can recommend? I've read they can be finicky depending on the hardware you're using them with
Since it sounds like you have a UDMP...: https://store.ui.com/products/10-gbe-rj ... sfp-module
by jfa_roy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:15 am
drewu wrote:any that people can recommend? I've read they can be finicky depending on the hardware you're using them with
I use a number of transceivers from FS with my UDMP. For example, https://www.fs.com/products/89572.html? ... &id=219403.
34 posts Page 3 of 4