How to upgrade to 10gb

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 4 of 7
by j3r3myhargrove » Sat May 28, 2022 2:25 pm
dane wrote:Upgrades are not yet available, but we are working towards it now. You can expect a “Request Upgrade” tool to become available soon.

While there is no additional monthly fee for 10Gbps service, you can expect a one-time fee for the equipment swap in the CO and premise. Target figure at this point is $299.
Hey Dane! Any update on the availability of the upgrade request feature for existing 1Gb/1Gb customers? I have overhauled my entire internal network from the MPOE to the servers/workstations including wiring for 10GB support and am super anxious to test this out! :D Would also love to see if you have capability to even bypass the ONT altogether and terminate to a fiber SFP within my network... I have checked into this for now, but it seems there may be hardware limitations or authorization issues for bypassing the ONT provided.

In any event, thanks for the excellent service and keep up the awesome work! We all appreciate it! :)

- jeremy
by dane » Sat May 28, 2022 2:55 pm
The “Request Upgrade” tool is in development. But as described previously in a reply, actual upgrades are a big project.

I don’t expect we’ll ever support any ONT we don’t supply. There are interoperability issues with that on a PON platform.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by j3r3myhargrove » Tue May 31, 2022 11:32 am
Thanks for the response Dane!

Understood about the PON problems and look forward to availability of the "Request Upgrade" feature.

Again, thanks for the awesome service!
by pascoej8 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:21 pm
Would pay 300 in a heartbeat
by chrisdelbuck » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:38 am
Just adding a +1, I'd be very happy to put down money to pre-order 10Gb service in West Berkeley.
by bubba198 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:56 am
any update on the upgrade request tool?
by psireau » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:03 am
Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't contain my excitement for the upcoming 10gbps upgrades!

I do understand the challenges being faced with supply chain issues though. And since those upgrades won't make a difference to the vast majority of customers (as 10gbps equipment at home is still uncommon), it makes sense that upgrades are not the priority for Sonic at the moment.
by eyco2284 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:08 am
Hi Dane,

Just signed up for Sonic and my installation is scheduled for later this week. I'm also very interested in upgrading from 1gb to 10gb for $299. Wouldn't be surprised if the other condo in my HOA felt the same way 8-) (we live in the mission).

Appreciate the team working to make 10gb happen, hope we can be a part of the pilot/early adopters!

Thanks!
by dhamsher » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:24 pm
@Dane any updates on process for upgrading in SF?
by dhamsher » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:45 am
Trying again. @Dane?
66 posts Page 4 of 7