OpenVPN (Linux) hangs at least once a day

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by dsgsonic » Mon May 23, 2022 4:32 am
Running Ubuntu 20.04.4, with OpenVPN client, and at least once at day the connection stops working. It appears to block all Internet access when that happens, which is good, I guess. This does not occur with OpenVPN client on Android, iOS, or Windows.

I'm baffled and not sure a) why this is such a consistent issue; and b) what if anything I can do about.

Thoughts?
by js9erfan » Mon May 23, 2022 6:09 pm
Any errors in your client logs?
by dsgsonic » Mon May 23, 2022 6:41 pm
I'm embarrassed to ask ,but where would I find that log?
by js9erfan » Mon May 23, 2022 8:58 pm
dsgsonic wrote:I'm embarrassed to ask ,but where would I find that log?
Which OpenVPN client are you running?
by dsgsonic » Mon May 23, 2022 9:08 pm
OpenVPN 2.4.7 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Mar 22 2022
library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1f 31 Mar 2020, LZO 2.10
by js9erfan » Tue May 24, 2022 7:02 am
I don't play with Linux often but you can try running this from a terminal to see if any related logs are present:

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/syslog
Are you able to ping the server once the connections hangs?

You could also upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with OpenVPN v2.55 to see if it resolves your issue. Hard to say though without seeing the logs around the time your connection hangs... Posting your ovpn config file minus any sensitive data might help too.
by dsgsonic » Tue May 24, 2022 10:51 pm
I'll try pinging the next time this happens. Holding off on 22.04 until the first dot release. I'm using the Sonic personal config file that I download from ovpn.sonic.net with no changes.

When it stops -- twice in the past 20 minutes -- it stops all connections including pings.

All I tell from the log is that it's not connecting. When I stop OpenVPN service and restart, it works.

This is a Linux-only issue as far as I can tell.
by js9erfan » Wed May 25, 2022 7:09 am
Speaking of your Sonic profile, I just noticed that Sonic points Linux users to the OpenVPN 3 client so trying that could be worth a shot (shows as compatible with Ubuntu 20.04). I would also verify the client is using udp and not tcp (you can delete this line from your config to be safe). Aside from that you might have more luck posting to the OpenVPN.net or Ubuntu forums.
by dsgsonic » Wed May 25, 2022 3:43 pm
Thanks, I'll give version 3 a try -- I appreciate your help.
by dsgsonic » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:09 am
UPDATE

Installing OpenVPN 3 and running that has solved the problem. It's not as easy to use. It requires command line startup, the setup is not obvious, and there's no integration with Network Manager. But it works and, so far, has not shown the same issue with hanging my connection.
10 posts Page 1 of 1