Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 14 of 16
by dane » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:16 am
schmuck wrote:Dane, what about those of us in neighborhoods served by old poles that can't support new fiber drops? Can Sonic lease the existing AT&T fiber to my house?

Really don't want to have to switch to AT&T fiber, but can't live with 6Mbps much longer.
Yes, we do resell via AT&T fiber. You can check your location for any available upgrades in the connections section of our member tools at https://members.sonic.net/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ranous » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:16 pm
There are some Sonic workers out back stringing up cable along the telephone poles that run behind the house. Chatted with one and he thought it would be 3 or 4 months before it went live. Perhaps the end of my comcast nightmare is in sight.
by dane » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:41 pm
Bravo!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nematsakis » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:38 pm
dane wrote:Bravo!
Dane - can you throw us a bone? Even if you can't say when a particular area will get completed, can you say what areas of Redwood City Sonic is currently serving? It's really difficult to gauge the progress, if any. I see from Ranous' earlier message that they are "about a block north of Sequoia High School." That's pretty far from me.
by akrieger » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:10 am
I saw a Sonic truck working on a pole a couple of blocks northeast/up from Whipple Ave & Alameda de las Pulgas, which was exciting to see because that's the closest I've seen them to Emerald Hills yet. Hopefully they're moving more southwest from there rather than horizontally out on that side of Alameda!
by akrieger » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:52 am
"Your Sonic visit has been scheduled for Apr 10 8am-12pm" is probably the best thing I could've read today after quite a long string of bad news lately. I can't wait!
by bayfiber » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:15 am
After waiting since June 2019 when I first got the mailer in my physical mailbox, I finally got this email today!
Sonic Fiber Internet + Home Phone is now available in your area!

Since you've already pre-ordered service (and are a genuinely wonderful human being), we have begun processing your order and will send you email updates periodically.

Here's what happens next:

*Scheduling your installation: We have a couple steps we need to complete before we schedule your installation. As soon as we're ready to schedule, we'll contact you. Typically, installations are scheduled within a few weeks from the time we begin processing your order. After successful installation, your home or small business internet and phone service will be up and running.
Looks like I need to wait a little longer to be contacted yet again? If there's any support staff out there reading this, it would be nice if I could just contact Sonic after getting this email and schedule my installation instead of being told "hey we're contacting you to let you know you're going to wait a little longer before we can contact you again to schedule your installation." That would really cut down on the number of times I'm told I have to wait a little longer...

But hey, I'm excited and I cannot wait to schedule this installation.
by ranous » Sat May 21, 2022 1:37 pm
Hurray, I have an installation appointment! There was a sonic crew here today connecting the fiber from the pole to the house, and they'll be back on the 2nd to finish the installation.

Alex
by rconti » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:28 am
What neighborhood? I'm way down in Friendly Acres against Marsh road, so 3 houses from Menlo Park.. gonna be the last in redwood city :)

Thankfully I've had sonic/att gigabit fiber for over 3 years now, since weeks after I got the first preorder flyer, so it's not THAT big a deal...
by ranous » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:51 pm
Install went great. I'm getting solid 900+ Mbs both up and down. I have a Unifi UDM Pro router, which can route faster than a gigabit. I bought a SFP+ to RJ45 adapter, but it doesn't seem to work when connected to the ONT. The LED on the SFP+ adapter lights up, but the UDM doesn't seem to recognize it. I bought the cheapest adapter on Amazon that claims Ubiquiti compatibility, but perhaps that was a mistake. I'll return it and but the Ubiquiti model and see if that works.

BTW, I'm a block from Sequoia High School.

Alex
160 posts Page 14 of 16