IPv6 with Sonic ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
159 posts Page 4 of 16
by nobaq » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:37 am
Adding to the large stash of people who would be badly looking forward to IPv6.

Agree with what said said multiple times in this thread:
  • I've done IPv6 tunnels since sixxs times and they are painful
  • Netflix et.al. doesnt work well
  • It's 2022! IPv6 should really be supported by now, especially for a provider like SONIC
  • Don't over-estimate how many "pro-users" there are who are really looking for good alternatives to Comcast et.al. Just as an example, IPv6 ssh without having to use crippled and error prone dyndns provides large value
I am extremely looking forward to native IPv6 and hope it does have some priority.
by markrobinson » Sun May 08, 2022 11:17 am
I'd like thank Dane for coming out and explaining what is going on. I really appreciate it.

That said my need IPv6 is only growing. I'm pushing for an IPv6 conversion at work (we're a major financial service provider) and it makes it hard for me to sell the work when I don't have native IPv6 at home. It's doubly hard since I WFH full time and that means I don't have native IPv6 for work either.

More concerningly, the US govt is mandating IPv6 and the goal is to get 80% penetration in a few years. So even if Sonic isn't a direct US govt vendor, the list of employees, and contractors, and contractors of contractors is a HUGE portion of the US. You should expect to see customers come to you and say "My job/contract requires that I operate over IPv6. I need connectivity today or I have to switch to AT&T."

At the end of the day, IPv6 penetration is currently >45% today. We're less than a year away from the majority of users being on v6. We are not far off from some online services going IPv6 only. The major mobile networks are overwhelmingly v6 native in the US and if you're an app provider then v4 support is more of a nice to have than a hard requirement.
by dane » Sun May 08, 2022 11:27 am
We have made progress with the vendors who’s equipment has the current bugs that are impeding deployment, and they’ve got fixed planned for the next firmware release. We don’t yet have a timing commitment, but will continue to put pressure on the vendors.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dillonyee » Fri May 20, 2022 12:35 pm
I too would like to see Ipv6 Implemented for work and to be part of the future of networking.
by mborsetti » Tue May 24, 2022 8:40 am
+1 on the high importance of having native IPv6 ... and please let us know when it's finally available.
by mgsullivan » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:50 pm
+1 for native ipv6. Any update on the vendor's firmware update??
by dane » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:01 pm
It’s been rolled out in on city so far. We’re moving slowly to make sure we don’t encounter any more significant bugs.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by julianoster » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:02 pm
I was reading this as "rolled out in the city" so far, but now I see it's probably "rolled out in one city so far", and I assume that city is not SF?
by dane » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 pm
Yes, initial rollout was Sebastopol.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by julianoster » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:51 pm
Makes sense. Well, I hope Sebastopol goes over without too many hitches, and it will spread to SF soon!
159 posts Page 4 of 16