Info About 10G Install & Hardware

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jhattersley » Tue May 17, 2022 10:35 pm
Hi there!

Recently pre-ordered Sonic 10G fiber, and very excited for the eventual rollout. (94805 ZIP code, would love a status update if one is available.) Have seen a few mentions of things around this forum, but I was hoping to get some specifics about installation details and what hardware is being rolled out to new 10G customers.
  • Is the ONT located on the exterior or interior of the home?
    If on the interior, is the only exterior install component getting a fiber drop to a transition box?
    Is the hardware an ONT alone, or is it a combined Wifi/Router/ONT device?
    Does the ONT offer SFP+ out or 10G Ethernet out (or both)?
Thanks for continuing to roll out service, and I'm sincerely looking forward to being a Sonic customer again! (Had Fusion DSL back at our old Berkeley apartment.)
by lenraphael » Tue May 17, 2022 11:02 pm
in Temescal, it was just an ONT
by kyle.depasquale » Wed May 18, 2022 7:46 am
jhattersley wrote:Hi there!

Recently pre-ordered Sonic 10G fiber, and very excited for the eventual rollout. (94805 ZIP code, would love a status update if one is available.) Have seen a few mentions of things around this forum, but I was hoping to get some specifics about installation details and what hardware is being rolled out to new 10G customers.
  • Is the ONT located on the exterior or interior of the home?
    If on the interior, is the only exterior install component getting a fiber drop to a transition box?
    Is the hardware an ONT alone, or is it a combined Wifi/Router/ONT device?
    Does the ONT offer SFP+ out or 10G Ethernet out (or both)?
Thanks for continuing to roll out service, and I'm sincerely looking forward to being a Sonic customer again! (Had Fusion DSL back at our old Berkeley apartment.)
My ONT was installed on the interior of my home - and the transition box (which is maybe 4" x 5") was actually able to be put in my basement to minimize the number of utility boxes put on the outside of my home. (Not sure if this could be done for everyone, but the installer was super accommodating for me with this)

I received an ONT alone because I opted to use my UDM Pro which supports 10G routing. The ONT has an RJ11 voice port and two RJ45 ports: one supporting 10/100/1000 and the other 1000/10G. I had to get an RJ45 SFP+ module for my UDM Pro to connect to the ONT.
3 posts Page 1 of 1