How to upgrade to 10gb

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 3 of 7
by cmeisel » Tue May 17, 2022 8:58 am
since this is for your private use, why not ignore your IT buddy and get the Ubiquiti for around $400 since this is the most economical solution and sufficient for home or small office usage. anything else is overkill
by lenraphael » Tue May 17, 2022 9:07 am
what's the fully filtered thruput of the Ubquiti, packet inspection and all? or does it not do that AV stuff?

for simplicity and cost, the ASUS appliance is even cheaper. only provides a couple of 10gb ports and those might need snapin hardware.

since my buddy w be the one configuring it, and he doesn't hate all Ubiquiti stuff just this one, minimizing his time is a consideration.
by jfa_roy » Tue May 17, 2022 10:14 am
lenraphael wrote:what's the fully filtered thruput of the Ubquiti, packet inspection and all? or does it not do that AV stuff?

for simplicity and cost, the ASUS appliance is even cheaper. only provides a couple of 10gb ports and those might need snapin hardware.

since my buddy w be the one configuring it, and he doesn't hate all Ubiquiti stuff just this one, minimizing his time is a consideration.
Per the spec sheet (https://dl.ui.com/ds/udm-pro), 3500 Mbps with full Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) and Intrusion Detection System (IDS), 8000 Mbps with just deep packet inspection (DPI). Also of note, the UDM Pro is very quiet (much quieter than a PoE switch).
by lenraphael » Sat May 21, 2022 11:41 pm
spec-wise, the Ubiquiti promises 8gbs thruput w deep packet inspection cf to the Sonicwall NSA 3700 at 600 kbs w full inspection and 5.5 gbs without inspection.

But looking at another spec sheet, for the UDM-Se, it's much lower at Intrusion detection throughput: 3.5 Gbps, IPS throughput: 3.5 Gbps. But would think wo inspection wb closer to the 8gbs?

The Ubiquiti only has one 10gb Wan and one 10gbs lan port compared to 5 or so for the Sonicwall.
Plus only a few 1gbs ports. So I'd need a switch w some more 10 and 1gbs ports if I went the Ubiquiti router.

CDW called me back after they placed the order for the Sonicwall to clarify the above. So back it will go. Most likely I'll get the Ubiquiti and a separate 10gb switch. a year from now sb a to more choices.
by bobfff » Sun May 22, 2022 11:04 am
Has anyone had experience with the following 10GbE router?

Qnap QHora-301W WiFi 6

Thanks!

Bob
by dane » Sun May 22, 2022 3:44 pm
TP-Link has a new 10Gbps solution coming soon, the AXE300. Some news on it can be found here:

https://www.tp-link.com/ae/press/news/19849/

It’ll be interesting to see if this a good single box solution.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by js9erfan » Mon May 23, 2022 6:06 pm
Looks like Ubiquiti is coming out with a 10g all in one as well. No 6E though the Pro model specs are yet to be released. Might be a decent option for some in a few years once all the bugs are worked out 8-)
by abhinav » Mon May 23, 2022 7:24 pm
Just want to add, I plugged in and started using the QNAP QHora-301W today. At a price of $380 I was interested as it was cheaper than a Ubiquiti solution significantly. I'm now getting 10G (speedtests show 5-6G Image) and have had a pretty good experience with WiFi across the place as well. I think this is the best and cost effective solution to 10G so far!
by dane » Mon May 23, 2022 7:43 pm
Web browser speed testing will always be a bit slow. Will you test with the Speedtest desktop app?

It’s great to see some hardware coming to market that can deliver the full capabilities of the connections we now provide.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by abhinav » Mon May 23, 2022 8:06 pm
dane wrote:Web browser speed testing will always be a bit slow. Will you test with the Speedtest desktop app?

It’s great to see some hardware coming to market that can deliver the full capabilities of the connections we now provide.
Hey Dane, great call! Getting significantly higher speeds from the desktop app - see below.
66 posts Page 3 of 7