Multi-Gig Speeds - AT&T 5 GB

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by dhamsher » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 pm
Hi! Will sonic be matching or exceeding AT&T recent announcement of 2.5 and 5 gb fiber speeds? I would really like to stick with sonic, but if AT&T is offering much higher speeds in the neighborhood it will be hard to pass up. Thanks!
by joeyyung911 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:46 pm
No more corrupt, duopolies for me! I'll wait for Sonic's 10Gb, even if it takes years.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dane » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:24 am
Sonic now provides 10 Gigabit connections in all new territories, for our normal $39.99 price point. We'll be working to bring that equipment to existing markets to allow upgrades in the future. You can expect that upgrade to come with a one-time cost for new equipment, but no increase in the monthly fee, so that's a win.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gbrivkalns001 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 am
dhamsher wrote:
Hi! Will sonic be matching or exceeding AT&T recent announcement of 2.5 and 5 gb fiber speeds? I would really like to stick with sonic, but if AT&T is offering much higher speeds in the neighborhood it will be hard to pass up. Thanks!


I mean, everyone is different, but assuming you are like probably 95% of the rest of Sonic users and most of your current Sonic 1 gig speed goes to waste, what's the big deal about 2.5 and 5 gig?

Unless you are constantly downloading huge 100 GB files or something, non-stop, all day, you are probably not even using a significant fraction of your Sonic gig fiber.
by ngufra » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:32 am
I see a few reasons to want 10 Gbps:
- bragging rights
- software update or game installations
by theyipper » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:34 pm
More speed helps immensely with remote work involving media/video. Also future proofing and dealing with other family members hogging the line :lol: .
by davidmirv » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:44 pm
gbrivkalns001 wrote:
dhamsher wrote:
Hi! Will sonic be matching or exceeding AT&T recent announcement of 2.5 and 5 gb fiber speeds? I would really like to stick with sonic, but if AT&T is offering much higher speeds in the neighborhood it will be hard to pass up. Thanks!


I mean, everyone is different, but assuming you are like probably 95% of the rest of Sonic users and most of your current Sonic 1 gig speed goes to waste, what's the big deal about 2.5 and 5 gig?

Unless you are constantly downloading huge 100 GB files or something, non-stop, all day, you are probably not even using a significant fraction of your Sonic gig fiber.


You’ve already previously stated there’s no plans for a build out in Coffey park , but you don’t know if the company you partner with (AT&T) has plans for 2.5/5 build out that we could upgrade through fusion ?

I would love the 10gig service but it doesn’t sound like it’ll happen in my lifetime unless you can hang fiber from the transmission poles on Barnes road.
by madar » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:02 pm
dane wrote:
Sonic now provides 10 Gigabit connections in all new territories, for our normal $39.99 price point. We'll be working to bring that equipment to existing markets to allow upgrades in the future. You can expect that upgrade to come with a one-time cost for new equipment, but no increase in the monthly fee, so that's a win.

Do you have any timelines?

Inner Sunset, San Francisco
by dane » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:25 pm
madar wrote:
dane wrote:
Sonic now provides 10 Gigabit connections in all new territories, for our normal $39.99 price point. We'll be working to bring that equipment to existing markets to allow upgrades in the future. You can expect that upgrade to come with a one-time cost for new equipment, but no increase in the monthly fee, so that's a win.

Do you have any timelines?

Inner Sunset, San Francisco


No, we've got both process issues as well as supply chain shortages to get past. Near-term, we've got about 4,000 customers that got 1 Gigabit equipment in the home, but where the central office is 10 gigabit equipped, and they'll be the first we're able to offer upgrades to. These are in Oakland and SF's Cow Hollow / Lower Pacific Heights areas, if memory serves. We need to build a self-installation upgrade kit, instructions, shipping and RMA process for old equipment, etc, and we'll be able to develop all of that for this group first. Then as we see uptake and as equipment availability hopefully improves, we can assess where next to deploy updated equipment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by madar » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:57 pm
Thanks - please keep us updated wrt to timelines and COs that you’re going to deploy out of.
13 posts Page 1 of 2

Who is online

In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 999 on Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 am

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests