Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 13 of 16
by aadelma123 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:53 am
ATT put fiber up in Emerald Hills and Sonic leases it from them. I had it installed yesterday, it works great. The only issue is that because the modem/wifi combo is leased from ATT and you need an ATT account to enable advanced features such as parental controls, port forwarding, etc., those features are not available if you buy through Sonic. You will need to buy your own router if you need those features.
by akrieger » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:27 am
aadelma123 wrote:ATT put fiber up in Emerald Hills and Sonic leases it from them. I had it installed yesterday, it works great. The only issue is that because the modem/wifi combo is leased from ATT and you need an ATT account to enable advanced features such as parental controls, port forwarding, etc., those features are not available if you buy through Sonic. You will need to buy your own router if you need those features.
Do you know if once Sonic builds out their network they'll have to pull another fiber to your house, or can they reuse what ATT pulled? I'm tempted to hop onto the leased fiber offer but don't want to have to deal with two whole installations.
by mgoldburg » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:10 am
I'm interested in this too. AFAIK, Sonic is not leasing fiber from AT&T. Instead, AT&T wholesales fiber access to Sonic, which Sonic then resells to you. When you switch from AT&T to Sonic, Sonic likely has to pull a new drop to your house and swap out the fiber router or ONT (fiber modem). They can probably reuse any in-home copper wiring that was installed for the AT&T service.
by pcowan » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:23 pm
Home installation happened in Mt Carmel today at a relatives house. Crew was out to do the drop from the main line to the house. Scheduled install date was while the homeowner was out of town, so they called Sonic were able to schedule an installer for today and everything was all setup by the end of the day.
by pcowan » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:24 pm
Home installation happened in Mt Carmel today at a relatives house. Crew was out to do the drop from the main line to the house. Scheduled install date was while the homeowner was out of town, so they called Sonic were able to schedule an installer for today and everything was all setup by the end of the day.
by mgoldburg » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:31 am
I purchased the ATT fiber service through Sonic. It was installed this week. I'm happy with the performance so far: roughly 930 Mbps symmetric as measured at my router.

My original plan was to wait until Sonic's own fiber was available here in Emerald Hills before switching. However, in December, Comcast proposed to raise the rate for my 400/10 Mbps service by $20/month. That pushed me over the edge.

Total time from order to installation was 10 days. The only hitch was that the new fiber segment installed by ATT to connect my house fell off the pole (!) within 24 hours. It took a couple more days for ATT to come out and re-install the segment.

For those interested in tech details ... ATT installed a BGW320 gateway at my house. I'm running that in passthrough mode, connected to my Ubiquiti UDM router. IPv6 is supported; the BGW hands out 64 bit prefixes via DHCP. Hoping that Sonic will have native IPv6 support by the time their network reaches my house.
by jesus408 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:11 am
nematsakis wrote:In the last month, Sonic has been sending postcards advertising gigabit fiber to my house in the Selby neighborhood (near Woodside and Alameda). I assumed it meant that it was available, but when went to sign-up I found it was a pre-order. Still, I figured it must not be too long if they are advertising and then I found this thread where some pre-ordered years ago.

Is Sonic fiber available to anyone in Redwood City yet? If so, where? If not, has anyone gotten a commitment date for availability?
Yes I live down el Camino in front of downtown next to whole foods, and they have 10gigabit fiber available
by dane » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:23 am
mgoldburg wrote:I'm interested in this too. AFAIK, Sonic is not leasing fiber from AT&T. Instead, AT&T wholesales fiber access to Sonic, which Sonic then resells to you. When you switch from AT&T to Sonic, Sonic likely has to pull a new drop to your house and swap out the fiber router or ONT (fiber modem). They can probably reuse any in-home copper wiring that was installed for the AT&T service.
Yep, this is correct. Once Sonic's own network reaches you, we will automatically schedule you for migration to our infrastructure.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ranous » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:58 pm
There were some workers that installed a new steel cable between the poles running along the back fence of our house (down by Sequoia High School). I wasn't there at the time, and unfortunately my wife didn't talk with them, but I'm hoping they were from Sonic and they were prepping things for hanging fiber runs off the support cable. Maybe my Comcast nightmare is coming to an end. Fingers crossed.

Alex
by schmuck » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:24 pm
Dane, what about those of us in neighborhoods served by old poles that can't support new fiber drops? Can Sonic lease the existing AT&T fiber to my house?

Really don't want to have to switch to AT&T fiber, but can't live with 6Mbps much longer.
160 posts Page 13 of 16