Fusion x2 (bonded pair) compatible modem?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by leeep » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm
All,

I've been on single-pair Fusion ADSL service for a long time with Sonic.net. It gets the job done since I have few other options at my location. (Please don't get me started on how we can't get adequate broadband services in the middle of the Silicon Valley, it's absolutely ridiculous...)

I'm thinking of at least moving up to bonded pair service if I can locate a compatible modem since I'm on customer-owned equipment. My existing DLink DSL-520B only does single-pair service.

Does anyone know if repurposed CenturyLink equipment works on Sonic.net ADSL service? (e.g. a Zyxel C3000Z) Other hardware I've seen out there is stuff like the Comtrend 3101.

I run my own router and WAP, so I would prefer not to bother with any all-in-one gateways if possible.

Thanks for any guidance!
---
...on Sonic.net since 2011...
by parker_day » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:59 pm
It's unfortunately not all that easy to find bonded xDSL modems. I have been using a Kasda 5226 for years (as a modem only). There is an older thread here that might help: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2649&hilit=bonded+modem
by leeep » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 pm
parker_day wrote:It's unfortunately not all that easy to find bonded xDSL modems. I have been using a Kasda 5226 for years (as a modem only). There is an older thread here that might help: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2649&hilit=bonded+modem
Thanks for the thread pointer... I had perused that one a bit, but given how old the thread is, I was hoping to find out what any more recent customers using Fusion X2 have been using.

Otherwise, I'll wait for Sonic to tell me if they can provision X2 at my location and roll the dice with some used hardware from eBay, per that thread.

Thank you!
---
by michaelsanders » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:26 pm
Did you have any luck with the Comtrend modem? I haven't seen any success reports with it on these forums but it looks promising (one of the only models I've seen that doesn't include WiFi, which is a plus for those of us that just want a low-power bridge to a better router).
by george.belle » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:02 am
Sonic will rent you a Pace 5268 for $10/mo. You can operate it in bridge mode and use your own router - that's what I did. The Pace 5168 works, too, and also can operate in bridge mode.
by michaelsanders » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:33 pm
> Sonic will rent you a Pace 5268 for $10/mo. You can operate it in bridge mode and use your own router - that's what I did. The Pace 5168 works, too, and also can operate in bridge mode.

This is what I'm doing currently, but I just want a low-power modem that acts as a bridge to a better router. The Pace offers more functionality than what I need at worse quality than the other leased equipment from Sonic (e.g. Eero) with more power consumption.
by leeep » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:11 am
I'm actually using a Zyxel C3000Z that I repurposed from a friend... and it has been working "OK." I disabled all the radios and set it up as a bridge into my trusty Tomato-based router that has served me well for a very very very long time (probably too long). I prefer to have local control of the router and related hardware... the typical rental stuff is always hit-miss and the recurring costs are a little ridiculous over the long run.

I posted a bit more info previously here in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2649&p=53928#p53928

I've got some recurring problems with the second Fusion line that keeps popping up every now and again and I'm in the process of initiating some troubleshooting with Sonic/ATT (yet again). At some point you'd think they could just completely re-provision the line and see if that fixes the issue.

My original line is still rock-solid as it has been for a decade+ now.
---
by michaelsanders » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:48 pm
Late response, but I was able to get my bonded fusion service working with the Comtrend NL-3130. I had to email Comtrend support and have them reach out to Sonic to confirm compatibility (it's not listed for sale on their website). To setup I used the default settings for ADSL and configured it in bridge mode with another router. It used about half the power of the Pace and provided a stable connection with both lines. It's also possible to completely block the blinking lights with electric tape, which you can't do with the Pace since it comes from behind the vents.

I tried both the TP-Link TD-8616 and D-Link ADSL2+ DSL-520B prior to this which did not work (the TP-Link could not get a signal at all and the D-Link only got one line).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any alternative modem working yet with the IP Broadband (AT&T U-Verse) service I've since been upgraded to, so am currently back to using the stock equipment.
8 posts Page 1 of 1