Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 12 of 16
by mgoldburg » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:05 am
We're not near Selby, so this info may not be too useful to you ...

We live near Edgewood and Lakeview. We got the "your neighborhood is entering engineering phase" email in June. No updates since then. My son lives on Hillcrest near Edgewood Park. He called Sonic yesterday and they told him it would be about 6 months before service was available in that area (the fact that they gave an estimate makes me believe that progress is being made in Redwood City).

For Emerald Hills, I'd plan on early 2022 at best.
by ranous » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:17 pm
Ok, I got this update the other day. Not sure what 8% active means. Are they saying 8% customers who preordered are live?
Has anyone actually gotten the service, or even a real install date?
As of this month, Sonic's network is 8% active in your area. Your area's fiber build is now moving along quickly in this construction phase, and we expect your area to be fully live by the end of the year. Thank you for choosing Sonic, the fastest, most affordable internet in America.
by mgoldburg » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 pm
Hi @ranous, "your area" is a bit vague, too. Where (generally) do you live in Redwood City? I'm in Emerald Hills and didn't receive a message like the one that you got. Thanks.
ranous wrote:Ok, I got this update the other day. Not sure what 8% active means. Are they saying 8% customers who preordered are live?
As of this month, Sonic's network is 8% active in your area. Your area's fiber build is now moving along quickly in this construction phase, and we expect your area to be fully live by the end of the year. Thank you for choosing Sonic, the fastest, most affordable internet in America.
by mgoldburg » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 pm
Hi @ranous, "your area" is a bit vague, too. Where (generally) do you live in Redwood City? I'm in Emerald Hills and didn't receive a message like the one that you got. Thanks.
ranous wrote:Ok, I got this update the other day. Not sure what 8% active means. Are they saying 8% customers who preordered are live?
by ranous » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:44 pm
mgoldburg wrote:Hi @ranous, "your area" is a bit vague, too. Where (generally) do you live in Redwood City? I'm in Emerald Hills and didn't receive a message like the one that you got. Thanks.

I'm down in the flats, about a block north of Sequoia High School.

Alex
by mgoldburg » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:25 pm
Thanks, Alex! Hopefully, they'll get to your place soon.

Marc
by bayfiber » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:12 am
Got the same exact update as you. I think they mean that 8% of your area are now actively using the Sonic network as customers, but I could be totally wrong. This is exciting though as they are giving us a date that means we will be able to schedule our install in less than a little over 2 months.
by pcowan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:45 pm
I also got this update in the Centennial neighborhood. Several weeks ago I saw crews stringing fiber in the Mt Carmel neighborhood. However, the one pre-order I know of there has not been contacted about connecting to the house yet (the crew ran fiber down their street).
by hansons3hyde » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 pm
We are on Wellesley Circle Park. Got the same update!

Not sure if this is related... On Eaton at the San Carlos Creek yesterday, I asked a Sonic worker what he was doing. He was surveying the area for a new fiber run. Maybe we need that to connect us?
by ranous » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Ok, the latest update:
As of this month, Sonic's network is still 8% active in your area. While we do our best to keep a steady pace, team capacity has been a struggle for us as we continue to expand and find team members to join our crew. The good news is we expect to make more progress in the next 60 days. For now, we are working diligently to review our hiring process and expect to be finished lighting up your community Spring 2022. Thank you for your patience.
So I guess the fundamental problem is they can't hire the people to do the work. Next May 10 will be my 3 year anniversary since pre-ordering the service. Frankly, I seriously doubt I'll have the service before then. Every single update estimate Sonic has ever sent me has been fiction.

Alex
160 posts Page 12 of 16