Sonic Fiber in Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
71 posts Page 7 of 8
by shilpasonic » Fri May 17, 2019 8:29 am
Hi. Thanks for posting, Dane.

I live in South Berkley, on King St at Alcatraz. I’ve been checking in for updates via phone and getting the same range of feedback everyone else is sharing.

What is the best way for us to find out when Sonic fiber will reach us? Who knows that/who is in charge of making those determinations?
by dane » Fri May 17, 2019 9:35 am
shilpasonic wrote:Hi. Thanks for posting, Dane.

I live in South Berkley, on King St at Alcatraz. I’ve been checking in for updates via phone and getting the same range of feedback everyone else is sharing.

What is the best way for us to find out when Sonic fiber will reach us? Who knows that/who is in charge of making those determinations?
Since our permitting issues in Berkeley, we've stopped providing any projected go-live dates for any of our network, because we've realized that actual achievement of any dates we promise isn't something we can fully control. As such, we'd prefer not to over-promise and let people down, when issues with localities or contractors or weather etc arise.

So, the way to find out when it's available is, if you are a current customer you will be the first to get an invitation to migrate from your current service to fiber, and we'll do the drop and schedule your installation. Pre-orders come next, a couple days later, they'll get their invitation to schedule. It's all automated at this point, so simply by being a Fusion customer, or placing a pre-order, you'll get monthly updates on construction, and then a migration notification.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Gggk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:14 pm
Hi Dane,
I was recommended Sonic by friends and would really like to have your service (moved into a new apt. a few weeks ago) over ATT and Comcast. When I entered my address on your site (Ellsworth St.), your site said you are available in my location. I ordered. It has been 3 weeks and no service or anything yet. At first I was told that you are getting my landlords approval, and that after that I would get service. Then I was told you got my landlords approval and needed the approval of the CEO of my property. THEN a salesman told me that on top of the CEO thing, your MDU team or something is looking for special compensation or somebody else is, and that you're negotiating that too. I have not had internet access for 3 weeks and need it for work/class. I have to go on campus to get WiFi. With all due respect, this seems like false advertisement. I was told the service is available in my area, when in reality there are still a bunch of hoops to jump through and that it may potentially be NOT available in my area. What is going on?! Unfortunately, I can't hold out too long and will have to sadly give in to Comcast or something for internet, as much as I would have liked to have Sonic.
by dane » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am
Gggk wrote:Hi Dane,
I was recommended Sonic by friends and would really like to have your service (moved into a new apt. a few weeks ago) over ATT and Comcast. When I entered my address on your site (Ellsworth St.), your site said you are available in my location. I ordered. It has been 3 weeks and no service or anything yet. At first I was told that you are getting my landlords approval, and that after that I would get service. Then I was told you got my landlords approval and needed the approval of the CEO of my property. THEN a salesman told me that on top of the CEO thing, your MDU team or something is looking for special compensation or somebody else is, and that you're negotiating that too. I have not had internet access for 3 weeks and need it for work/class. I have to go on campus to get WiFi. With all due respect, this seems like false advertisement. I was told the service is available in my area, when in reality there are still a bunch of hoops to jump through and that it may potentially be NOT available in my area. What is going on?! Unfortunately, I can't hold out too long and will have to sadly give in to Comcast or something for internet, as much as I would have liked to have Sonic.
We sometimes struggle with building owners and managers, generally the first install in a building can take some time and coordination. Please do write to support@sonic.net for a status update, they'll get that info from the MDU team and keep you informed on the process.

You might also consider telling your building management that you're eager to get service installed. Knowing that tenants want it - particularly if many of them want service - can make a huge difference. We had one building where the management was holding us off for months, but then more than half the residents signed up and all of them emailed management and suddenly things moved more quickly.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am
This one has been a while coming: FDA 62 in Albany is online! Evelyn Ave, Cornell Ave, and Kains Ave from Solano Ave to Buchanan St. Stannage Ave from Buchanan St to 824/825 Stannage Ave.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Jazztone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:28 am
Hi,

I live on Claremont Ave just up in the canyon a half mile east of the Claremont hotel. My house is technically in Oakland while my address is in Berkeley. I am curious if there is planned availability for fiber at my location? I believe a line was run here over a year ago and saw many trucks just down the hill several months ago but the sonic website shows service is not available at my address yet. I’m itching to get off Comcast ASAP! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
by Jazztone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:03 pm
Jazztone wrote:Hi,

I live on Claremont Ave just up in the canyon a half mile east of the Claremont hotel. My house is technically in Oakland while my address is in Berkeley. I am curious if there is planned availability for fiber at my location? I believe a line was run here over a year ago and saw many trucks just down the hill several months ago but the sonic website shows service is not available at my address yet. I’m itching to get off Comcast ASAP! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
I just confirmed that Sonic fiber is available at 7401 Claremont Ave, just .3 miles to the west of me. I am in the 7700’s area on Claremont Ave - so close!!! Any chance they can extend it up here? Please oh please! I believe the line was run all the way on Claremont canyon in front of my house.

Thanks for your time and any hopeful news!!
by dane » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:42 pm
Jazztone wrote:I just confirmed that Sonic fiber is available at 7401 Claremont Ave, just .3 miles to the west of me. I am in the 7700’s area on Claremont Ave - so close!!! Any chance they can extend it up here? Please oh please! I believe the line was run all the way on Claremont canyon in front of my house.

Thanks for your time and any hopeful news!!
Today that's beyond the edge of the current project boundary. We're continuing to expand though, so it may become part of our future expansion - we're growing based upon uptake, so spread the word!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Jazztone » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 pm
Hi Dane,

Thanks for the kind reply! Is there any way to expedite the process as I do know many of my neighbors are interested in Fiber at this location! Is there a way I could submit a petition showing the neighborhood is interested? As we are so close to the nearest house with Fiber it would be great to expand it here!

Again, I'm at the 7715 Claremont Ave. location and I do believe the fiber line was run along the road in front of my house.

Thanks again for your time!
by dane » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:26 pm
Jazztone wrote:Hi Dane,

Thanks for the kind reply! Is there any way to expedite the process as I do know many of my neighbors are interested in Fiber at this location! Is there a way I could submit a petition showing the neighborhood is interested? As we are so close to the nearest house with Fiber it would be great to expand it here!

Again, I'm at the 7715 Claremont Ave. location and I do believe the fiber line was run along the road in front of my house.

Thanks again for your time!
We're expanding in many communities around the SF Bay area - and we target expansion based upon demand, as indicated by where our current subscribers are, as well as those who visit the website, check for service, and sign up for notification or for an interim service. So, tell 'em to check our website for info on who we are and what we're doing, and they can either sign up for service or express interest.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
71 posts Page 7 of 8