Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 3 of 16
by larns576 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 pm
[quote="apimente1"We will let you know once your area enters into the next Engineering phase.[/quote]

Oct Update: We expect to begin Engineering this winter
Nov Update: We will let you know once your area enters into the next Engineering phase

Sounds like they haven't gone into Engineering yet, but will let you know when they do. I doubt Engineering can be completed in less than a month. It was mentioned before that Engineering -> Deployment can take a year (that was for S.F., other cities may vary)
by amayfield » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:57 pm
RWCFiber wrote:Nobody said there was a "next engineering phase". I wonder how many "phases" there are? That last update was a bit vague compared to the previous updates. .
The email update was intended to inform you that you will soon be moving from the Pre-Engineering phase to the Engineering phase, not to suggest you are already in Engineering and that there are multiple phases to Engineering. I understand the confusion there though, and I’m sorry about that!
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by RWCFiber » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:57 pm
December update:

The Sonic team is moving quickly in this engineering phase. The permitting process has gone seamlessly with your city and we are on track to begin construction in the new year. We have performed much of the prep work and expect the construction phase to move fast as well. We are ecstatic to bring your neighborhood fiber and we can't wait for you to move into the construction phase soon. Stay tuned for more to come!
by bjeung » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:01 pm
Looks like you guys are ahead of us in San Mateo. This was our December update

The Sonic team is working diligently to collect data in your neighborhood for the future fiber build. In this Pre-Engineering phase, our team of engineers review the information and analyze the current utility network (mostlyAT&T poles) for vitality. They are preparing this information for the next phase of determining the best route for Fiber throughout your community. This is the most critical part of our process, and we are excited for you to be a part of Sonic's growth.
by apimente1 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:53 pm
bjeung wrote:Looks like you guys are ahead of us in San Mateo. This was our December update

The Sonic team is working diligently to collect data in your neighborhood for the future fiber build. In this Pre-Engineering phase, our team of engineers review the information and analyze the current utility network (mostlyAT&T poles) for vitality. They are preparing this information for the next phase of determining the best route for Fiber throughout your community. This is the most critical part of our process, and we are excited for you to be a part of Sonic's growth.
Nobody knows for sure outside of Sonic since the various phases have not been disclosed.
by apimente1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:07 am
January 2020 Update. Happy New Year!

The Sonic Team is preparing your area to move into the In Engineering Phase of your fiber build. In this early stage of the fiber build, we work very diligently with the data received from our engineers in determining the appropriate area to expand Sonic. We have run into a few barriers with the city and central office in your area, but expect to stay on schedule. We are happy to be coming to you soon and delivering the fastest internet in the nation. Happy New Year!
by RWCFiber » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:44 am
apimente1 wrote:we work very diligently with the data received from our engineers in determining the appropriate area to expand Sonic.
This part of the email is just going to make people like myself who called to get on the waitlist think that Sonic may not end up making it to their area, despite getting a mailer saying service will be available.
by apimente1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:29 am
February 2020 Update:

We seem to have gone backwards from "Congratulations, fiber will be in your neighborhood soon. We will send monthly udpates." to "We're checking if fiber is feasible for your area. You'll only hear from us if if there's any glimmer of hope".

In this phase, our team is collecting data for review and analysis to determine if your neighborhood is viable for fiber. This process can take anywhere between 9-12 Months. Because of this, we're going to lessen the amount of communication you receive until you get dropped into "construction phase" where updates occur more regularly from month-to-month.

Please tell your friends, family, and neighbors to sign up too!

Sonic may be highly praised for their support and services but their marketing, sales, and PR leaves a bit to be desired. On their product availability page they still state the following when checking my address.

"We’re building the fastest, most affordable internet in the country. Service will be available in your area soon."

The Feb update basically states "Service may or may not be available. We might update you in the next 9-12 months"
by RWCFiber » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:31 am
apimente1 wrote:February 2020 Update:

We seem to have gone backwards from "Congratulations, fiber will be in your neighborhood soon. We will send monthly udpates." to "We're checking if fiber is feasible for your area. You'll only hear from us if if there's any glimmer of hope"
I got the same email as well and I was shocked. I've been on the waitlist for 6 months since the same day I got the announcement in my mailbox. I eagerly signed up on the phone and gave my credit card info and I get both this update and the "not a bill" email every month reminding me that they have my payment information. Why are we getting mailers telling us fiber is coming only to be told half a year later that "our team is collecting data for review and analysis to determine if your neighborhood is viable for fiber."? And to be told that this can take another 9-12 months? And to be told to tell my neighbors to sign up too?

This is incredibly disappointing. I thought the mailer meant I would get fiber in my home by at least 2020 but now its looking like I have to wait until 2021. I don't understand how Sonic can even send people announcement mailers before they even "collect data for review and analysis to determine if your neighborhood is viable for fiber". You'd think they'd have this done before ever sending a potential customer an announcement in the mail. My mailbox shouldn't even get an announcement until fiber construction has begun in my area.

I really hope this is just a mistake on Sonic's part and that they are actually further ahead in the process than this email suggests.
by apimente1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:45 am
RWCFiber wrote: now its looking like I have to wait until 2021.
Just a minor correction. It looks like we may not get fiber at all as they are now just evaluating viability after several months of advertising that fiber will be coming "soon".
160 posts Page 3 of 16