What steps can I take to help bring Fiber to my block in Richmond?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 pm
pencoyd wrote:@Dane (and others at Sonic) -- it's been 15 months since I last checked in on this. Any news on N/S blocks in the Richmond, like the 500 block of Funston Avenue?

I've gone to the trouble of polling my neighbors on the block, and more than half of the block is excited about Fiber as an option.

12th Avenue between Anza and Balboa is served (for wiring purposes only) by the same alley, so I could canvas them, too.

John
You're sure that your utilities are aerial, in that alley?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:03 am
pencoyd wrote:@Dane (and others at Sonic) -- it's been 15 months since I last checked in on this. Any news on N/S blocks in the Richmond, like the 500 block of Funston Avenue?

I've gone to the trouble of polling my neighbors on the block, and more than half of the block is excited about Fiber as an option.

12th Avenue between Anza and Balboa is served (for wiring purposes only) by the same alley, so I could canvas them, too.

John
We've found a path that should will be viable to your alley poles, and that block is orderable for service now. And I'm going to hold you to the 50% uptake rate - I'll check in a few weeks for pre-orders via the website and see if you were blowing smoke or not. ;)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jlsphar » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:18 am
@Dane -- I hope pre-orders for the 500 block of Funston in Richmond are healthy and exceeding expectations. It seems a bit dire though from our end.

I've been checking in when customer service has asked me to and installation keeps being kicked down the road (nearing 10 times now). We originally expected service in July but as of last Friday 11/30 learned that service might be delayed until ~ December 20th.

Regardless of the circumstances we appreciate the installation attempts and will keep chasing this unicorn.

Best regards,
John
by jlsphar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:28 am
Hi Dane,

It seems now when I type in the Funston address for the 500 block I'm seeing a fiber to the node option via AT&T for $80 instead of the normal direct to premise $40 option.

Did AT&T win some kind of construction permit with the city over Sonic or something? Will fiber direct to the premise no longer be an option?

Regards,
John
by steelgaze » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:35 pm
Sounds like AT&T was willing to dig and bring fiber up though the underground and onto the ally poles. Sonic wasn't willing to do it.
by jlsphar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm
I'd be happy to pay Sonic $80-$100 per month plus a setup fee of ~$150 for FTTP even if AT&T was offering FTTP with no setup fee at $40 per month. Sonic would win with me every time. I think more and more people are waking up to what's happening behind many of the large isp server cages and are thus placing more and more value on human-centric technology infrastructure which can promote healthy data hygiene and net neutrality. That being said, I understand that we all have constraints & that Sonic must have a good reason to punt the ball on this one. At least I'll be dealing with a Sonic contract instead of an AT&T contract... seems like a win to me.
16 posts Page 2 of 2