Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 3 of 21
by ankh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:45 am
"blown" poles are not built - we must omit sections with these
I realize it would be a "simple matter of programming" to incorporate that information into the availability search tool -- is there documentation of which street addresses are fed from which specific poles? Being told that when we check would save some false hopes for those of us who might be omitted when push comes to shove next spring.

And if there's reason to lobby ATnT to replace bad poles, I expect I could get my neighbors together to do that.

We know how devastating it can be when a pole falls over and starts fires, and we're just a few blocks from the Hayward Fault, which is in the "not if, but when" category.

I wonder if ATnT's map of poles to be replaced is tied at all to the anticipated shaking the poles will experience in the expected next big quake.
by dane » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:03 am
ankh wrote:
"blown" poles are not built - we must omit sections with these
I realize it would be a "simple matter of programming" to incorporate that information into the availability search tool -- is there documentation of which street addresses are fed from which specific poles? Being told that when we check would save some false hopes for those of us who might be omitted when push comes to shove next spring.
All of the information about known overloaded poles is incorporated in the availability search tool today. While field survey results may cause further contractions, historically we're quite close.

Here is an example, from Albany. Poles are blue or red circles - the red ones are overloaded. In the example here, the poles no Marin Ave are overloaded, and on Kains to the North of Marin. The availability/coverage is the olive green boxes (encompasing fiber distribution area (FDA) 48 and FDA 9), and you'll see that premises served by the leads with blown poles cannot be reached. Those locations will be offered copper-based VDSL2 or ADSL2+ services instead of fiber.

Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cycloscott » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am
Curious if you guys are working with LMI for fiber deployment in Berkeley. I know they're working in similar areas.

I got one of your postcards about the rollout several months ago, but it currently looks like you're going to miss me by one stupid block. Based on the address check, you're coming down Santa Fe to continue along Cornell, and I'm on the corner of Cornell and Camelia. Sooooo frustrating that the house behind me will have access in a couple of months, but I won't. :sadpanda:

Hoping you continue for more complete coverage in the area. Regardless, keep up the good work. We'll need options like you more than ever once the net neutrality rules are rolled back.
by bobfff » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:26 pm
Dane,

Is the map you provided as an example from ARC Gis? Proprietary data? If not, is there a link you can provide?

Thanks.

Bob
by dane » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:32 pm
bobfff wrote:Dane,

Is the map you provided as an example from ARC Gis? Proprietary data? If not, is there a link you can provide?

Thanks.

Bob
Yes, it's internal, sorry. But, this is what drives the qualification tool on the website, so you're getting current engineering driven data when you check your home for service availability.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:26 pm
I'm inquiring with GIS team about your block.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 pm
mar wrote:i live a a couple blocks from one in the Oakland Hills. we'd love Net Neutral internet here, but no postcards :(
You probably would qualify for Fusion vDSL at that distance.
by digitalbitstream » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 pm
So Dane, did you say "until it reaches the CO". Does that mean you're still leasing space from AT&T for Sonic fiber?
What political or permit support from your "fan base" could be helpful in getting this all done?
by dane » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:54 am
digitalbitstream wrote:So Dane, did you say "until it reaches the CO". Does that mean you're still leasing space from AT&T for Sonic fiber?
What political or permit support from your "fan base" could be helpful in getting this all done?
Yes, all competitive local exchange carriers collocate in the shared central office facilities. That's where we house our DSLAMs, interconnect to other cities, etc.

The primary support we need from members today is revenue, and more members. Our financial scale and thus ability to borrow is the only thing holding back expansion at this point.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 pm
Are Sonic and AT&T competing to get to nearly overloaded poles first?
We see a lot more AT&T trucks doing fiber, than Sonic trucks.
205 posts Page 3 of 21