List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
120 posts Page 10 of 12
by digitalbitstream » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:54 am
I purchased a used Comtrend NexusLInk 5631 from eBay, and ended up with one that had been hacked (taken over).
By leaving non-rental customers to fend for themselves, the chance of getting hacked equipment on Sonic's network goes up. The Kasda modem seems like a good choice, until you consider that the dodgy firmware update could be good or could be malware.

I will use the modem only a transparent bridge, then add a proper secure router (e.g. Pepwave Sufo Soho https://routersecurity.org/pepwavesurfsofo.php ).
by danzcool » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm
As an IT admin, I have issues paying a monthly fee to "lease" and item when the lease fees exceed the outright cost withing a year. I would consider upgrading from Fusion to the 2-line version if I could avoid the lease fees, If sonic would recommend a product, or simply sell what they use at a 1 time fee, or even offer a 1-time discount on used models. The service is great, I just feel burned that I've been paying $6/month for over 2 years for a $50 modem.
by mwedel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:40 pm
Any ideas if the zyxel vmg4325-b10a would work?

https://www.zyxel.com/me/en/promotions/ ... e_en.shtml

My guess is that it would for VDSL (supporting PTM), but less clear on ADSL2+ bonding. Looks like this can be purchased for $130 new from newegg.

My existing ADLS2+ (non bonded) modem may be failing - had lots of issues with sync earlier today. It might be compelling to me to spend a bit more money on a replacement that has potential for an upgrade. I've certainly gotten my money out of my zoom 5754 I bought 5 years ago for $50.
by Modye » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm
Reporting another success with the Actiontec C2000A for ADSL2 service. I upgraded from standard Fusion to Fusion x2 and the Sonic technician set me up with their router, because the DSL modem I had been using didn't support dual DSL lines. I ordered a used CenturyLink C2000A from Ebay and and it's giving me the same speed I was getting with the Sonic box.

The first time I powerd up the C2000A I forced a reset using the button on the back of the device, and it worked fine after a few minutes of booting up and establishing the Internet connection. Then I logged into the router control panel to update the firmware (go to 192.168.0.1 in a Web browser and log in with username "admin" and the password on the bottom of the device). Also disabled wifi on the C2000A so it functions as a modem only -- because I like the router that I already owned.
by mwedel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:31 pm
I can report success with the Zyxel VMG4825. Using it right now

I had inquired about the VMG4325 a couple months back, the VMG4825 is newer (only difference really being it supports newer wireless standards) and it was basically the same price as the VMG4325, so why not go newer.

I bought mine through an e-bay store. In theory, it was supposed to be new, but the fact I had to do a factory reset on it to be able to login with the standard password suggests that maybe it was not brand new. And I had to do a little reconfiguration - the quick setup doesn't change the VCI/VPI settings, and it was 0/33 as I received it. It looks like it needed a reboot for those to take effect.

Right now, it is actually a little faster than the Pace was, but I suspect that it will go down a little bit over time, as that happened with the pace also. Right now, the lines are syncing at 10716 and 10529 kbs, the pace was at 10089 and 9814, so I'm picking up about an extra 1 mbs right now.

This was about $140 with shipping, so pays for itself in 15 months. It has a 2 year warranty, so I should come out ahead.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:40 pm
Lets just point out that a lot of routers have insecure firmware. I picked up one on eBay that had already been hacked (and thus could not be firmware updated). If you do get a used (or new!) router update the firmware. Sadly, vendors abandon routers.
Sonic's policy of modem rental fees thus, probably, leads to more hacked routers on it's network.
by SnowB0und1 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 pm
Any updates on this? I take it there are no bonded modem only units out there?
by RBSF » Wed May 30, 2018 4:40 pm
Well, this thread seems to be a good place to discuss this - and I commend Dane for keeping the topic open.

I upgraded to FTTN, so using ATT's network. The old DSL couldn't stream content well enough.

I'm burned at having to pay 6.50 a month to rent the router, and then another 6.50 a month to rent the ATA.

An ATA is the device that converts IP to Analog for your phone. This exact model can be bought on ebay for $20 -- it's a dead simple device.

They 'say' I can't swap out the router. For the ATA support says it's MAC tied, and they can't swap it out either. That's total BS. I should be able to buy the device, give you my new MAC, and you can update your records accordingly. Paying 6.50 to rent this is insulting.

You've come a long way from being the champion of personal choice to becoming yet another ISP. Allowing the customer to opt out of renting hardware that we pay for 10 times over is good business practice.
by bbass408 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:05 pm
Question withdrawn.
by ngufra » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:11 pm
I just moved to fiber!

I now have a spare zhone 6729-w1 adsl/vdsl wireless router.
It can do two bonded VDSL lines; I have used on a single line. I was so close to the exchange that I did not need the second line's extra speed.
  • VDSL2 pair bonding with Profiles 8a/b/c/d or 12a/b or 17a or ADSL2+ Pair Bonding
  • VDSL2 single line with profiles 8a/b/c/d, 12a/b, 17a or 30a or ADSL2/2+
  • Supports G.Vector and G.INP
  • Integrated Gig-E Ethernet port for GPON development
  • Supports IEEE 802.11b/g/n WiFi with 2-builtin transmitter and receiver antennae
  • High power WiFi (400mW) for better WiFi coverage
  • 4 Gig-E LAN Ports
Lots of bells and whistle. Only drawback is that i could not get firmware updates so i used it as a modem and used a second router behind it.

Bought new at newegg in august 2015 for $132+tax
Anyone interested?

I also have a sonic issued ZTE ZXDSL831 (ADSL2+ modem) looking for a new home.

In Albany
120 posts Page 10 of 12