Where to buy white fiber optic cable?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by dynastyss » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 pm
Hey!

I am wondering where I can get a white fiber optic cable that runs from the wall plug to the ONT? The yellow one is driving my wife nuts, which in turn is driving me nuts.

I don't even know what the male end of the plug is called. Presumably it has some type of cat-5 equivalent type name that I can use to search online and find a white version?

Thanks
by dynastyss » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:01 pm
sc/apc sound right?
by steelgaze » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:20 am
You can probably paint it white... Cheapest option IMO.

I did a quick look on monoprice and you have a choice between bright green, orange, or yellow.
by miken » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:40 am
dynastyss wrote:I am wondering where I can get a white fiber optic cable that runs from the wall plug to the ONT? The yellow one is driving my wife nuts, which in turn is driving me nuts.
I think you are actually talking about a Cat5e cable. The Fiber connection from the outside is actually run in on a thin white cable and has a green connector. On the other side of the ONT you have a power cable (grey), a phone cable (black) and the Cat5e Ethernet cable (yellow).
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:30 am
Spray paint and problem solved
by dynastyss » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:15 am
So the cable is too short, so spray painting doesn't help.

It is the yellow cable with green connector, much thinner than a cat5 cable, so I don't think it is cat5e. I think it is SC/pca?
by miken » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 am
dynastyss wrote:So the cable is too short, so spray painting doesn't help.

It is the yellow cable with green connector, much thinner than a cat5 cable, so I don't think it is cat5e. I think it is SC/pca?
Can you email in a picture of it to Support so I can get a better idea of the situation? You can put "Attn: Mike N." in the subject to make sure it reaches me.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by steelgaze » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm
So the setup is black fiber line comes in goes into the grey box. From the grey box, it's a fiber cable to the ONT.

ONT then sends the signal off via ethernet.

The yellow cable, I assume, is the grey box to the ONT.
by ceciat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:56 am
steelgaze wrote:You can probably paint it white... Cheapest option IMO.

I did a quick look on monoprice and you have a choice between bright green, orange, or yellow.
The color coding is not for aesthetic reasons but used to identify different kinds of fiber. My understanding is that they are NOT interchangeable:

Yellow indicates a single mode fiber, orange a 62.5 micron multi mode fiber, and "aqua" (which could be described as bright green) indicates a 50 micron multi mode fiber.

I am not an expert, but if you want a white cable, painting it might be the only option...
by rtrinh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:58 pm
If the end of the cable looks a bit like the RJ45, it might actually be the cable to the telephones with connectors RJ11. That cable is green for me.
13 posts Page 1 of 2