Average timeline to VDSL2?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by aaronchang » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm
I am currently on Fusion X1 ADSL2+, 6 business days ago I called to Support to place my order for VDSL2 and received the e-mail stating it will take 5 business days to complete.

Now I received an e-mail about the equipment shipping out (am aware of the equipment rental), and it states an additional 4 days!

I have been clear with Support on two occasions that I already have a known working VDSL2 (PTM) modem.
So for those that have upgraded, how long did this process take?

I really hope somewhere down the line, that notes on the account are taken into priority that a customer already has a modem, instead of a tech just being notified ONLY when the item has shipped. If this is the case.
by aaronchang guest » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:05 pm
So service got switched, I'm having trouble setting up the modem asking me for a VLAN ID...

I attempt to call technical support but have no dial tone at home.
I called from mobile phone and they stated they closed office early at 7 PM, it's only 6 PM right now.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I have some deadlines for a presentation due tonight and tomorrow morning.
by aaronchang » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 pm
This just keeps getting more frustrating.

Service got switched over and now I have no dial tone and no service.
And the support office is closed! I have deadlines to submit tonight. This is not what I expected when they advertise great service.
by dane » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:58 pm
aaronchang wrote:This just keeps getting more frustrating.

Service got switched over and now I have no dial tone and no service.
And the support office is closed! I have deadlines to submit tonight. This is not what I expected when they advertise great service.
Sorry Aaron, we are struggling with the wildfires up here. An overview is here: https://sonicstatus.com/2017/10/10/stat ... north-bay/

Regarding your service, did we send you a new modem to connect? Does it show sync - connected?

Reach out to support@sonic.net, or call tomorrow, we'll be working to catch up throughout the day.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aaronchang » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 am
Thanks for reaching out Dane.

I received the e-mail stating that my upgrade order is complete. After that and ever since then, service is non-functional.

I still haven't received the modem from Sonic.
I am using my own VDSL2 modem that is confirmed to work based on other posts here on the forums.

I had to drive from SF to a friend's home in in San Jose in order to have internet, along with my monitor and computer tower. Just now replying to your post since I'm done with my work and driving back to SF.

But that doesn't compare to what's happening up North.

Anyway, I hope this gets resolved promptly.
by dane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 am
Will you check the UPS tracking on the modem from Sonic, and report what you find?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:04 pm
aaronchang wrote:Thanks for reaching out Dane.

I received the e-mail stating that my upgrade order is complete. After that and ever since then, service is non-functional.

I still haven't received the modem from Sonic.
I am using my own VDSL2 modem that is confirmed to work based on other posts here on the forums.

I had to drive from SF to a friend's home in in San Jose in order to have internet, along with my monitor and computer tower. Just now replying to your post since I'm done with my work and driving back to SF.

But that doesn't compare to what's happening up North.

Anyway, I hope this gets resolved promptly.

While I do sympathize with you man , having no internet can be a burden especially with deadlines and work , SONIC is currently dealing with the wildfires which affect some of their employees ... while delivering service is their job I think in this case they have a very valid reason as to why the service is not delivered ... and I am also pretty sure they will do everything in their power to make sure you get your service up and running ... in the mean time if you need some fast pipe / wifi I have sonic fiber and I would be more than happy to help you out if you need access ... pm me and we can take it from there.
by aaronchang » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:31 pm
pockyken007 wrote:

While I do sympathize with you man , having no internet can be a burden especially with deadlines and work , SONIC is currently dealing with the wildfires which affect some of their employees ... while delivering service is their job I think in this case they have a very valid reason as to why the service is not delivered ... and I am also pretty sure they will do everything in their power to make sure you get your service up and running ... in the mean time if you need some fast pipe / wifi I have sonic fiber and I would be more than happy to help you out if you need access ... pm me and we can take it from there.
Thanks pockyken007 for offering, must be sweet having Fiber, I'm actually at the cut-off for it (one block away) so I'll have to be patient since it hasn't budged in months.

When I arrived home today, the box with the Pace modem+router was here, I hooked it up at 4 AM to see if it would help but no dice, so I just left it connected.

Then later today, I decided to check and finally have a connection!
However I'm still seeing the same speeds that I had before, my old sync rate was 19510 Kbps/ 1179 Kbps, now I see 22803/ 1079. Only a minuscule bump in Download, sad times.

At least I can do work now. I would've thought I would see a noticeable improvement given my original sync on ADSL2+ was decent.
by pockyken007 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:58 pm
VDSL is sadly still dependent on the distance from the node if you are closer to the node and there is no other interference / issues ( cabling , wires etc ) I would expect a higher rate of download / upload ( sonic should be able to tell you the exact distance from the node and average speeds you should be seeing )
by dane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:18 pm
On the performance angle, take that up with staff next week, when we get back to normal. ;)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
11 posts Page 1 of 2