Fiber in Mission/Noe Valley SF

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 1 of 2
by babermac » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm
Hi there,

I was wondering whether my building was in the zone for the fiber rollout in San Francisco. I've seen several very considerate replies from Dane on here, so figured I'd post.

I live on Guerrero St. between 26th and Cesar Chavez.

Thank you!

DB
by dane » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm
You can check your location, here: http://sonic.com/availability
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kyle.depasquale » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:44 pm
My sister and brother in law live on this same block - which is currently fed by a pole in their backyard that goes to the other houses nearby, which gets its lines from the poles on Cesar Chavez (between Guerrero and Dolores)

It doesn't seem to be in the deployment zone - probably because all of Guerrero is undergrounded - but I'd be curious to see if this could be changed given that the current sonic fusion lines that they currently have (at least for the western side of the block) come in through the back instead, and aren't undergrounded. Granted, that depends on if that block of Chavez will be covered by the deployment.
by dane » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm
San Francisco today has rules which disallow new trenchless utility construction, so it's not possible to serve homes that have underground utilities, nor locations which might be isolated by underground segments. City leadership and Public Works are engaged in discussions on this, and we're involved in that process, but it's not resolved at this point.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by babermac » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:01 pm
kyle.depasquale wrote:My sister and brother in law live on this same block - which is currently fed by a pole in their backyard that goes to the other houses nearby, which gets its lines from the poles on Cesar Chavez (between Guerrero and Dolores)

It doesn't seem to be in the deployment zone - probably because all of Guerrero is undergrounded - but I'd be curious to see if this could be changed given that the current sonic fusion lines that they currently have (at least for the western side of the block) come in through the back instead, and aren't undergrounded. Granted, that depends on if that block of Chavez will be covered by the deployment.
Thanks for the insight, Kyle! I also live on the western side of that block. does your sister currently have Fusion? if so, do they get pretty good speeds there?
by kyle.depasquale » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:58 am
babermac wrote:
kyle.depasquale wrote:My sister and brother in law live on this same block - which is currently fed by a pole in their backyard that goes to the other houses nearby, which gets its lines from the poles on Cesar Chavez (between Guerrero and Dolores)

Thanks for the insight, Kyle! I also live on the western side of that block. does your sister currently have Fusion? if so, do they get pretty good speeds there?
Yup, they get ~20mbps on single line fusion - I'd imagine they could easily go to ~40 if they were to upgrade to X2. It's nowhere near what fiber provides of course, but it's plenty for what they do.

The only real issue they run into is wireless strength issues due to the old build of their building + interference from other wireless networks, but I've helped them out with setting up a much better wireless access point in their home, which has made a big difference for them.
by virtualmike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:26 pm
kyle.depasquale wrote:Yup, they get ~20mbps on single line fusion - I'd imagine they could easily go to ~40 if they were to upgrade to X2.
One can't help but wonder what speed they'd get if they upgrade to VDSL. At 20 Mbps, they must be close to the CO.
by jgc94131 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:42 pm
I'm tantalizingly surrounded by addresses that will be getting fiber access in September, but not my block of 27th St. Can you share what the problem is? Any way to help prioritize the 400 block of 27th St.?

Fiber Availability Check 7/25/17
450 27th St. - no fiber
1375 Noe - fiber avail 9/17 (just west)
4047 Cesar Chavez - fiber avail 9/17 (next block north)
464 Duncan - fiber avail 9/17 (next block south)
1370 Sanchez - no fiber (just east)
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:42 am
virtualmike wrote:
kyle.depasquale wrote:Yup, they get ~20mbps on single line fusion - I'd imagine they could easily go to ~40 if they were to upgrade to X2.
One can't help but wonder what speed they'd get if they upgrade to VDSL. At 20 Mbps, they must be close to the CO.
I think they may already be on VDSL, but I'll have to check with them - good suggestion! I don't think they're that far from the CO at all - it's just down the street a few blocks, I think.
by 200_duncan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:21 pm
@dane Any updates on the 200 block of Duncan St.? Wave and Comcast just aren't cutting it... Thanks!
19 posts Page 1 of 2