Slow Wifi and Powerline Speeds on Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by NewSonic » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 pm
I had the gigabit fiber installed yesterday, but I am having a problem with slow speeds.

The worker did a wired speed test on his laptop and got around 850 mbps download, 105 mbps upload, and he said that is within the normal range

Then I did a speed test on my LG G4 phone and got around 100 mbps download standing right next to the gateway (Pace 5268ac) This seemed slow to me, so I went to my desktop computer one floor down and tried a speed test there and got 40/30, which seemed ok since I only use a N150 wifi adapter on that computer.

But then everything got bad when I decided to change the wifi channel from Auto channel 7 to channel 1, my speed dropped to 15/15, and it was never the same after that. I have no idea what changing the channel did, but I tried changing it back to auto and then to other channels but from then on, the speed just stayed around 15 download and upload

Just now I did a speed test on my phone right next to the gateway again,and only got 5mbps download and 12 upload

Another problem I have is slow speed with a power line adapter I'm using for another computer in the back of the house. I only get around 15 mbps download and only 3 mbps upload consistently

Can someone help me with these problems?
by rtrinh » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:46 am
Your LG G4 should be a bit faster on the 5GHz WiFi signal, but not gigabit fast because wireless limitations.

I'd reset the gateway back to factory settings if you or the Sonic tech didn't change any other setting for you and see if that helps.

What kind of speeds were you getting before fiber with the powerline adapter? How is the Rx and Tx connection rates? Powerline networking has it's own limitations too so you will not see gigabit speeds either.
by pockyken007 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:06 am
whoa whoa before we go resetting the router to factory settings let's do some basic troubleshooting ...

1) Turn off your modem , wait 30 sec turn it on > test the speed after sync happens see if it improved
2) Turn off the ONT > turn off the modem > wait 30 sec > turn them back on in the same order > ONT > Modem > check the speeds see if it improved
3) Powerline adapters can be tricky depending on how many circuits you have in the house ( most houses have 2 ) and how old is the wiring etc we can troubleshoot that later let's focus on one thing at the time .
4) if the above steps do not work for you I would contact sonic first before you do factory reset on your modem .

Cheers ,

Pocky
by NewSonic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:09 pm
I tried unplugging the power from both the ONT and the Pace and then back, but I am still getting the same speeds

Why is it bad to do a factory reset on the router? The only setting I changed is the wifi channel, is it ok if I try a reset, or does it reset the firmware version too?

I also have another problem with this connection where I get bad latency and pings when someone is using the connection and even if I am the only one using it, if I load a website and open another tab and load a different website, it takes a long time for both websites to load and I am not sure if this is called bufferbloat, but I see lots of people complain about this a lot for this router
by NewSonic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 pm
Ok, I did some more research and I think it could be normal

I just did a speed test with my phone for the 5 ghz band and the link speed was 433 mbps, which is the maximum for my phone I think, with the actual speeds of 180 down, 80 up standing three feet away

And for the 2.4 ghz band, my link speed when connected was 58 mbps, and I found out my phone is only 72 mbps maximum for this frequency I think, and tested speeds were around 18 down, 10 up, again three feet away. Is this normal?

Also, for the computer I mentioned I was using one floor down, I think the maximum speed is also 72 mbps for the adapter I am using since I only use the 20 mhz channel, I get 65 mbps rate, and I told you the actual speeds I get is around 15/15, is this normal too? It still seems slow to me

I think the bigger problem I am having is the "bufferbloat" and latency and slow loading of websites. I am not sure if it is a DNS problem, my old Uverse 6 mbps connection seemed to be snappier at loading websites than this "faster" connection.
by rtrinh » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:25 pm
NewSonic wrote: Why is it bad to do a factory reset on the router? The only setting I changed is the wifi channel, is it ok if I try a reset, or does it reset the firmware version too?
It would be bad because we aren't sure if you know your way around with the gateway and if the Sonic tech had change settings for you like the SSID and didn't know how to set it back again. That's the one thing I would be worried about as the gateway out of the box/factory default settings works fine.

The link speed you're seeing is the combined up and downstream speeds so the LG speeds looks like that's what you'll get if it is one antenna for the 2.4 and 5GHz band.

Hows the link rate when you are performing the speedtest? It can change when the transfer is active.

As for the ping and latency website delay this is over WiFi? Is there anyway to check everything is fine connected to the Pace via Ethernet?
by pockyken007 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:16 pm
NewSonic wrote:Ok, I did some more research and I think it could be normal

I just did a speed test with my phone for the 5 ghz band and the link speed was 433 mbps, which is the maximum for my phone I think, with the actual speeds of 180 down, 80 up standing three feet away <--- that is normal as wifi is half duplex so anything above 400 mbps down and 150ish up is considered normal / good

And for the 2.4 ghz band, my link speed when connected was 58 mbps, and I found out my phone is only 72 mbps maximum for this frequency I think, and tested speeds were around 18 down, 10 up, again three feet away. Is this normal? <---- 2.4 is tricky depending on which channel you are on and saturation ( other wifi networks in your area , etc ) if your link speed is 58 18 down doesn't sound unreasonable although I would speculate that you should be seeing something between 25-29 mbps ( mind you speedtest is not a 100% reliable source of testing and there are / might be other factors at play here )

Also, for the computer I mentioned I was using one floor down, I think the maximum speed is also 72 mbps for the adapter I am using since I only use the 20 mhz channel, I get 65 mbps rate, and I told you the actual speeds I get is around 15/15, is this normal too? It still seems slow to me <--- I am not sure what make and model is that computer ? did you upgrade NIC drivers ?

I think the bigger problem I am having is the "bufferbloat" and latency and slow loading of websites. I am not sure if it is a DNS problem, my old Uverse 6 mbps connection seemed to be snappier at loading websites than this "faster" connection.

Can you try speedtest on a wired connection to a 1 gig enabled / capable computer ? Also powerline is also very very tricky as again it depends on inside wiring and the rating for the powerline adapter itself .
by timyu94 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:53 am
Not to mention even the best powerline adapters using the best possible wiring can only achieve a tad over 100 mbps in tested environments. If you want gigabit speeds then you best hard wire in whatever is stationary with cat 5 or 6. If you have an existing coax setup than moca adapters are much more reliable and faster than powerline but tad slower than ethernet.
by pockyken007 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:02 am
timyu94 wrote:Not to mention even the best powerline adapters using the best possible wiring can only achieve a tad over 100 mbps in tested environments. If you want gigabit speeds then you best hard wire in whatever is stationary with cat 5 or 6. If you have an existing coax setup than moca adapters are much more reliable and faster than powerline but tad slower than ethernet.
yup my powerline adapters achieve a bit over 100 mbps and that is on a brand new dedicated electrical circuit :)
9 posts Page 1 of 1