FTTN 20mbps, any suggestion on what router should I buy?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by cainn » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:46 pm
I am currently looking for a new router, and would love to have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
by dherr » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:00 pm
With Sonic FTTN you have to pay (last I checked) for gateway rental so there is no point in trying to get your own unless you are talking about a router to run behind DMZ+.
by cainn » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:03 pm
dherr wrote:With Sonic FTTN you have to pay (last I checked) for gateway rental so there is no point in trying to get your own.
True that, but I am pretty sure that we can always buy a third party Router and plug it into one of the WAN port of the Pace router (provided by Sonic/AT&T) to get the best of this great connection. I feel like the Pace router has some limitation, that can be enable on a different router
by Guest » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:31 pm
Get a router that you can flas dd-wrt onto so you can install opevvpn.
by mike.perlas » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:52 am
Just to clarify, any standard router should work when plugged into the FTTN Modem; most routers are plug and play. Was there a specific reason you were looking into getting an additional modem? The FTTN modem provided should be perfectly fine for everyday use.
Mikey P.
Technical Support Supervisor
Sonic
by bobrk » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:03 pm
I use an Apple Time Capsule behind the ATT modem in the DMZ thingy and it works great.
by Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:05 am
I am currently looking for a new router, and would love to have some suggestions.
FTTN user here. I had been running a Netgear R7000 as my primary router but I felt limited in options even with the great Xwrt-Vortex firmware. I decided to build a pfSense box and my R7000 is nothing more than an AP now... pfSense is highly configurable and allows me to run multiple VPN clients, Captive Portal, Snort, etc. Highly recommended!
7 posts Page 1 of 1