Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 136 of 191
by trancezeroxed » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:36 am
I've been watching this thread time to time and am excited to see all the progress done over the months. Any clue when sonic fiber will reach 10th Ave between Lawton and Moraga?
by adame » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:03 am
Guest wrote:
One of the issues with this outage is port forwarding is not working. The same thing occurred last time there was an issue several months ago. It seems the 5286AC doesn't like unexpected outages. I will need to look at the gw's configuration and post a follow up thread. Last time everything was still set up. Only when I created a new rule--the only thing changed was rule name--did things work again.

I may have to get another gw and opt out of the 5286.
I apologize for this. I understand it's aggravating. New customers are being distributed hardware that fixes this, but we've run into a problem pushing the upgrade to existing customers. If you'd like to send me a PM with your Sonic information, I can make sure you get a replacement that addresses this.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:52 pm
trancezeroxed wrote:I've been watching this thread time to time and am excited to see all the progress done over the months. Any clue when sonic fiber will reach 10th Ave between Lawton and Moraga?
I'm on the next block up, and just now a truck appeared and were attaching a cable to the overhead wires. I inquired, and they said it was for Sonic. The online tool says August 1 for me, but this is a good sign, I think!
by ichristie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:12 pm
d'oh!
i'm one block over on ninth but no fiber for me :-(
by yuriw » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:27 pm
I saw a track on Taraval & 40th, also inquired and was told that up to Wawona (my street) they have all ready just waiting for actual fiber cable to show up :)
by kenwong628 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:37 pm
My gigabit fiber install is due in another week or so. I recently remodeled my house and am reluctant to have any drilling through walls and floors. Based on what I've seen on other installation threads I'm going to have trouble getting a line to my media cabinet where my current cable modem resides. Has anyone tried using those gigabit ethernet adapters (powered through the electrical outlets) with their Sonic? This seems like the only way I can bridge the gap between the line going into my garage and upstairs to the media cabinet.

https://www.trendnet.com/products/power ... TPL-420E2K
by Guest » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:06 pm
kenwong628 wrote:I recently remodeled my house and am reluctant to have any drilling through walls and floors. Based on what I've seen on other installation threads I'm going to have trouble getting a line to my media cabinet where my current cable modem resides. Has anyone tried using those gigabit ethernet adapters (powered through the electrical outlets) with their Sonic?
Ethernet over powerlines will often give you very bad throughput. You'll be lucky to get 100 Mbps and often times get even less since the signal will have to traverse your electrical system, where things are often spliced many times. People who know what they're doing shouldn't have a problem with fishing Cat5e/6 through walls. In fact, many homeowners often learn to do it themselves. Look at https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/ under the Guides to the right. Although too late now, a remodel is the best time to do upgrades like this.
by dane » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:04 pm
kenwong628 wrote:My gigabit fiber install is due in another week or so. I recently remodeled my house and am reluctant to have any drilling through walls and floors. Based on what I've seen on other installation threads I'm going to have trouble getting a line to my media cabinet where my current cable modem resides. Has anyone tried using those gigabit ethernet adapters (powered through the electrical outlets) with their Sonic? This seems like the only way I can bridge the gap between the line going into my garage and upstairs to the media cabinet.

https://www.trendnet.com/products/power ... TPL-420E2K
Unfortunately, powerline networking just doesn't go very fast. For some details, see the review round-up at:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-p ... rking-kit/

The key point:
"The ZyXEL PLA5405 kit is faster than 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and gives you connection speeds as fast as some 5GHz Wi-Fi routers, averaging 163 Mbps in high-performance tests. The PLA5405 is a step up from our last powerline top pick, the ZyXEL 600 Mbps Powerline AV2 Gigabit Adapter Kit, which averaged 93 Mbps on the same test."
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:43 am
We just activated 24th Ave in the Richmond, which brings us to 50% completion of that neighborhood. Our next two San Francisco neighborhoods are now under construction: Parkside and Inner Sunset. Please tell a friend or neighbor, we're taking orders now in all of these areas at Sonic.com.

We are also engaged in engineering work, including field surveying, elsewhere in San Francisco, and in other Bay Area cities. Please keep spreading the word about Sonic and our mission: the more members, the faster we can build more gigabit fiber network!

In other news, our installation backlog is growing, and we're now running 20 days average from fiber order placement to installation completion. We are recruiting and hiring many more great people to help install fiber service, so if you know anyone who would be interested in a field technician job, please refer them to http://sonic.com/careers - thanks!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:15 pm
dane wrote:We just activated 24th Ave in the Richmond, which brings us to 50% completion of that neighborhood. Our next two San Francisco neighborhoods are now under construction: Parkside and Inner Sunset. Please tell a friend or neighbor, we're taking orders now in all of these areas at Sonic.com.

We are also engaged in engineering work, including field surveying, elsewhere in San Francisco, and in other Bay Area cities. Please keep spreading the word about Sonic and our mission: the more members, the faster we can build more gigabit fiber network!

In other news, our installation backlog is growing, and we're now running 20 days average from fiber order placement to installation completion. We are recruiting and hiring many more great people to help install fiber service, so if you know anyone who would be interested in a field technician job, please refer them to http://sonic.com/careers - thanks!
Do existing customer get priority for installation, or are they placed in the same pool as everyone else? The website says fiber will in available at my address on 9/26 (34th Ave in the Richmond), so it's getting close. It should be a relatively quick install since I just ran Cat 6 to the garage. I had to terminate one end of the cable myself. It carries traffic, but I wasn't able to test the speed. Guess I'll find out soon enough if it'll handle gigabyte, or if I messed up.

BTW: I've noticed some negative posts on the forum lately, which I simply can't understand. The fact that Google is now backing off on their fiber project just shows how hard it is to compete against the incumbents. The fact that a small company like Sonic is making fiber available is just fantastic. So even though I was stuck downloading the Warcraft Day 1 patch on DSL this week, I still love this company.
1909 posts Page 136 of 191